KRK Rokit G4 - Anybody Try/Use These

keith.rogers

These have been getting some pretty positive reviews for lower end monitors. The technology is interesting. Wondering if anyone has tried them. I'm semi-curious about the 7s because I'd like to have just a bit bigger monitor, and move my HS5s to the den, and maybe try something other than the next size up Yammies, without spending a crapload of dimes...

KRK ROKIT 7 G4 7" Powered Studio Monitor | Sweetwater

Edit: P.S. Maybe this belongs in the Gear Review section. Kind of odd there are a half dozen (sub) forums for input-related stuff, but not a single one for output, like monitors and headphones...

Hey keith.......is there a GC near you where you can go and demo some monitors? I know they'll sound different in the GC demo room but you can get a sense of the differences between the brands and models. That REALLY helped me out a lot. The other element.....which I'll bet you've already considered is your room size and layout. A 7" monitor can really mess with your bottom end and can also make the low mids sound wrong when they're fine. Haven't heard anything band about the KRK Gen4 7".

...is there a GC near you where you can go and demo some monitors? ....
I just happened to be in a nearby "strip-center" where they put in a smaller GC a year or more back. Went in, and it was a bit disappointing. They had the new G4s, but they were on the bottom shelf, and some cretins had gone through and pushed in the exposed dome tweeters and a few of the dustcaps on them. (I will not type would I would like to do if I caught someone doing that.)

They were, unfortunately, the only pair of 7s (or what are classed 7 "inch" monitors) that were fully functional. The Yamahas only had 1 speaker and the entry Adam T7Vs only had one of the pair working!

I tried comparing the KRK G4 5s to the HS5s (that I have), just as a point of reference, but it was a little difficult because of the positioning. It did make me realize that I was going to have to learn a new set of monitors if I ever do something like this, so a lot more time, research, and (I'd hope better experience) listening will have to precede any decision I make. Unlikely to be at the GC I visited, I fear.

FWIW, I read one review where someone said the ones he got had a bad hiss. I heard absolutely nothing, and I was playing 256k AACs off an old HDD iPod. (The GC has a setup where you plug your own source in - it's a 3.5mm, which had me staring at my iPhone XR for a few seconds until I remembered the iPod in my glove box.)

"Maybe this belongs in the Gear Review section. Kind of odd there are a half dozen (sub) forums for input-related stuff, but not a single one for output, like monitors and headphones... "

Troodat Keith ^. Noobs especially are always asking about which mic "is best". Is X converter better than Y and mic pres? !! Constant stream of questions about which will turn their fecal matter into manna!

If it ain't in the Stickies already it should be...People! The best tools you have are aside your bonce and it does not matter if the mic cost $5k and the AI ten, what you LISTEN on decides the quality of the result (that of course includes room in the case of speakers).

The same logic applies to fault finding. If you have a problem with a recording setup, start at the backend. Can you play a CD/YT through the speakers/cans..Yes? Then trace back through the chain.

This is rather bad news for the cash strapped beginner because you cannot get accurate monotors under (debatable this) £1000 each. Some years ago I went for Tannoy 5As* as the best I could afford. They are very basic, level control but no response tweaks. I like to think Tannoy put that money into the speakers. My ambition is a pair of Result 6s (but car just cost me north of £900 and I MUST get another W10 lappy for 2020, so not yet!)

*For musical son. I have been registered deaf for over ten years and whilst I still derive great pleasure from music and I think the Tannoys are the best speakers I have ever had, I would not presume to be able to critique a mix or attempt to do one.

Dave.

Back