This kick drum sound.

Funky_A

This may be me as a newbie, what it probally will be..haha..
But I think this bass drum sound is amazing:
http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0X49BV9SDV0R92MK9MXA77ZACM

I don't have clue how they got to wards this nice sound of Bass Drum, also I love the way it's mixed with the Bass guitar.
I know the quality is not that good but you still can hear the bass drums pretty good.

Does anybody know how this has been done?
What kind of effects/eq?...
I'd love to know.

Cheers,
Geert

My guess is it's probably triggered.

If not, then I would assume it was just a really clicky-sounding kick. Definitely used either a plastic or wood beater against a loose head, played with a lot of force.

That kinda' deal.

If you're trying to replicate that, then you're going to have to loosen the beater head ; play with it in order to get more slap. Use a solid surfaced beater (no felt) and have your drummer just really lay in to it until you hear a lot of beater slap. If you have to, try sticking an extra mic on the beater side (preferably condenser), and use something like a D-112 or a Shure Beta 52 for the front side. Or just EQ a big 'ol scoop in the mids and boost 3 khz.

If that's the sound you want, then I'm not totally against the idea of taping a half-dollar where the beater hits the skin ... whatever works. Try everything.

The reason it works so well with the bass, by the way, probably has a lot more to do with the bassist, I'm afraid. His sound just seems to mesh really well with the kick drum ; likely a combination of many different factors (type of bass, the strings he uses / the way he plays, etc. etc. ).

chessrock said:
My guess is it's probably triggered.

If not, then I would assume it was just a really clicky-sounding kick. Definitely used either a plastic or wood beater against a loose head, played with a lot of force.

That kinda' deal.

If you're trying to replicate that, then you're going to have to loosen the beater head ; play with it in order to get more slap. Use a solid surfaced beater (no felt) and have your drummer just really lay in to it until you hear a lot of beater slap. If you have to, try sticking an extra mic on the beater side (preferably condenser), and use something like a D-112 or a Shure Beta 52 for the front side. Or just EQ a big 'ol scoop in the mids and boost 3 khz.

If that's the sound you want, then I'm not totally against the idea of taping a half-dollar where the beater hits the skin ... whatever works. Try everything.

The reason it works so well with the bass, by the way, probably has a lot more to do with the bassist, I'm afraid. His sound just seems to mesh really well with the kick drum ; likely a combination of many different factors (type of bass, the strings he uses / the way he plays, etc. etc. ).

Thanks, I am the drummer :)...so I can keep trying.
Copying will offcourse always be impossible, but I want it to be somewhere in that way. Offcourse the bass sound helps a lot with the sound of it.
He plays Warwick, type, strings & stuff I don't know...only thing is the brand..so it's not much what I know.

Next to that I still want to try the wood beaters, I ordered them last week at my local shop, tho they are not in yet..(Iron Cobra's).
I haven't try the Vinnie Paul way ;) (coin on the head) yet..but I think this is a time to go and try it.
I allready have a falam slam patch on it. So I think in combination with felt beaters it's a bit "to" dampen for a good click, tho the falam slam patch is needed on it when I have the wood beaters.

The head is very loose! It's the just way past the point of wrinkles..so that's lose :)..(both sides)

The mic I am using is a Sennheiser MD421...should be good enough I think?
But you'd say I still better buy a Shure Beta 52 or the AKG?

The mic pre-amp I use is a SM ProAudio PR8, so not supergood quality.
And I also want to buy better pre-amps for my bass & snare..so I was thinking of a Presonus Bluetube DP (which is sort of on order, I could still cancel).

All of that is running through a Motu 1224, so i am losing a lot of quality at the SM ProAudio PR8.

I'm just trying to get things in a row, what now is the most important to buy..better pre-amp or bass drum microphone.

Ow and I finally also bought the Bob Katz book, I have a big learning progress in front of me, I allready offcourse have some fairly good equipment for home recording, which I am proud of...still I got loads to learn..and by reading a lot of threads here and do searches I also gained some knowledge.

chessrock said:
Interesting article. What the heck is this quote all about?

"I really like the saturation of the
Pro Tools busses, which is what I use a lot on the drums.
The saturation of the system itself."

It's for people that want to buy pro-tools, don't know shit about it..but since the wordt sounds interesting and high-developed..they think yeah offcourse! Pro-tools also has saturation from itself..another reason to buy it...

haha ;)..lol...

Saturation has to do with color-tone (atleast in color management it does :D..I'm a graphic designer..but a wannabe engineer...hahaha)..
So I'd say it has to do with how colorfull the sound is.

chessrock said:
Maybe it's just got really colorful summing math. :D

:D..

So..what do you think? Your honest opinion?
Better pre-amps or another bass drum microphone and move the MD421 to the toms?..

Funky_A said:
So..what do you think? Your honest opinion?
Better pre-amps or another bass drum microphone and move the MD421 to the toms?..

Honest opinion? I say work with what ya got. You could do much worse than a 421 on kick. Work on the source, and get it to sound as close to what you have in mind there. Then, work with EQ and compression to get you the rest of the way. Remember; you'll never get that sound you like with a felt beater. Not in a million years, so take care of the basics first and use the right equipment and technique.

If all else fails, then pick up a copy of drumagog. :D There's no shame in it. Oh yea, and make sure you use Pro Tools so you get that colorful summing / saturation dealy on your mix bus.

chessrock said:
Honest opinion? I say work with what ya got. You could do much worse than a 421 on kick. Work on the source, and get it to sound as close to what you have in mind there. Then, work with EQ and compression to get you the rest of the way. Remember; you'll never get that sound you like with a felt beater. Not in a million years, so take care of the basics first and use the right equipment and technique.

If all else fails, then pick up a copy of drumagog. :D There's no shame in it. Oh yea, and make sure you use Pro Tools so you get that colorful summing / saturation dealy on your mix bus.

Ha..yeah well the saturation is just fine on Cubase & my Motu 1224 :D...;)...

Thanks...I've been busy all night with it, just waiting till the beaters finally get here...:)

Thanks for the help.

chessrock said:
Interesting article. What the heck is this quote all about?

"I really like the saturation of the
Pro Tools busses, which is what I use a lot on the drums.
The saturation of the system itself."

Haha! What in the world is he talking about?! Pro Tools is an editing system...it doesn't have a "Sound" or "Saturation". Some people are loony. Maybe he's talking about submix busses or something...that's the only thing I can figure. Still doesn't explain the "saturation" thing though.

See what happens is when you use Pro Tools, it's greatness instills a saturation of love inside of you which in turn gets transferred to the music, and inevitably to the busses. Without Pro Tools you can't make good sounding recordings because there's no love saturation.

I wonder how many of these "remixers" know their ass from their face. I've read some pretty stupid shit from these guys in many an interview.

chessrock said:
So you mean to tell me there are more ass hats just like this one out there? Lordy, Lordy.

Haha...JunkieXL did that World Cup Soccer 2002 Nike tune right?
The remake of that Elvis song or something...
Annoying song...
Same as stupid DJ Tiesto....both dutch DJ's...that I am ashamed of hahaha ;)

Back