Kick and Bass

amt7565

Yes, I did read the other posts on this topic. As for me I am using SONAR to generate both the kick and the Bass from my Roland JV1010 MIDI sound module. Individually I like the sound of the kick and the bass. But then together they do mask each other and as a result they don't sound clearly defined. I want to avoid converting these to audio files and then mess with the EQ or compression since it wil degrade the quality. I am trying to sort this out in MIDI itself. Any suggestion to get a cleaner sound for the Kick and Bass on SONAR?

Thank you:D

Yep.

Convert to audio and use EQ and compression like everyone else.

Or get different samples that work better with each other. But either way you will end up converting to audio eventually so you might as well do it right. With the kick you only have to sample one beat and apply the EQ and comp. Then you can copy/paste it or use a Sonar sampler to play back the new sample you created.

Thanks Tex,
I am still kinda stuck. I really lack exepreince in this and I am still wroking and experimenting on this!

Thanks!

i've got the xv-3080, and although i know it's an updated model it's based on the same patches.

if you've got sounds that you like but don't go well together you need to keep experimenting until you either find a new set of patches, or figure out how to tweak those.

are you familiar with midi controllers? there are attack, decay, release, and timbre settings in midi that can change the sound of a patch. also, the 3080 has built in EQ. does the 1010 have it as well?

once you get done playing with the basic controllers, you can start tweaking the sysex commands.

Cross Yes!
I have played with the MIDI controllers, but not the attack or release times. And there's no EQ with the JV1010.
The thing with MIDI is, as individual notes they sound OK, but their notes spaced closed together, like a fast tune, they sound very synthetic.
I will play more with the controllers and see.
Thanks ;)

Back