Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I've been thinking about paying an "online" recording studio to mix one of my songs

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    .. And I need your guys' input.

There are two studios I'm looking at (there a a few out there) because they stand out to me as far as customer testimonials go, and the quality I've heard on their sites.

Basically, you send them a dry, barebones, rough demo of your song, and they have professional musicians that will finalize, mix and master your song for you over the internet. The only thing you do on your part is record your vocals and send it to them via email, then they'll do the rest. It sounds kinda neat. It's super pricey, though. For one song it's $600-$700. But considering that you are also paying for labor and professional musicians to mix your song in another state, I think it's pretty justified. They work close with you, so I'm sure that if you can communicate your vision clearly to them, they would have no problem mixing you a radio ready song. I don't have all the expensive gear that I need to produce a professional radio ready song. The best I can do with the gear I have at home is a polished EP quality song.

Have any of you on here done this before? Are you thinking about doing it? Why would you do it, or why wouldn't you do it? Any feedback, or input is appreciated. Thanks guys, and rock on.

Here are the sites:

http://www.DrumsForYou.com
    http://www.StudioPros.com

-Byron
    Last edited by Byron Yang; 01-27-2009 at 21:03.

RAMI Guest
    I don't understand. Are you playing the instruments, or are they going to play them and you just record the vocals???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI View Post
    I don't understand. Are you playing the instruments, or are they going to play them and you just record the vocals???
    Yeah, this is an idea I have been playing around with offering myself. It's like a studio with it's own houseband (picture a 21st century version of Stax Records with Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn and the rest as the house band). For the songwriter/vocalist without a "real" band who does not want to just sell their song to someone else to perform (a la Tin Pan Alley), but prefers to keep the rights themselves and just create a quality production using studio cats for hire.

Personally I like the idea - assuming there is real talent on both sides of the studio glass. Llike I say, this is an idea I've been bouncing around in my head recently using a few local session cats and quality vocalists myself with me me riding the fader desk, and then gathering up songwriters as the clients who need someone to execute their vision. The difficult part is in the production vision; there's only so much the client can convey over the phone as far as how they want the production to sound. Doing it online does mean trusting the house producer to execute your vision. If you have only a general vision, that's OK, but if you have specific arrangement/production ideas, you're probably better off going local so you can be there in the CR calling the production shots.

I'm not so sure about the "provide your own vocals" part of it, though. If someone wants to sing their own song, fine; I'll bring them in the studio and pray that they can actually sing (). But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to finely craft the instruments just to back a vocal that the client is making by singing into a $99 microphone connected to a $50 preamp in an untreated bedroom. That would be like making a cheese burger by putting only the freshest finest ingredients on a home-baked bun with a burger made out of dog food. Either record your own vocals with the same quality and care as the rest of the tracks, or use a house vocalist to do it for you.

G.
    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Glen J. Stephan,
    SouthSIDE Multimedia Productions[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkGreen]RECORDING RESOURCES AND INFO SITE:[/COLOR]
    [URL="www.independentrecording.net"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL][/B][/SIZE]

Thanks
    Actually that's a great idea. Being a drummer/songwriter, its kinda hard to realize your creations (the best I can do is drums + midi, which isn't exciting).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI View Post
    SouthSIDE Glen pretty much explained it. But yeah, they have a team over at their studio that will play all the instrument parts for you. Definitely check out their site. They have a before and after song that you can listen to. Before = the rough cut that you send them, and After = the finished song that the studio mixes. So you don't play any of the instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSIDE Glen View Post
    But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to finely craft the instruments just to back a vocal that the client is making by singing into a $99 microphone connected to a $50 preamp in an untreated bedroom.
    Yeah, I know. But I listened to their clients, and I was pretty impressed at the process and finished results. One client from the studio pro site landed one of his songs the the tv show, Scrubs.

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    It's super pricey, though. For one song, it's $600-$700.
    $6-700 for one song is less than what you'd normally pay "pro rate" for a single instrument on one song in many cases. That said, I can assume this isn't AFM stuff or professional session players.

I'd want to hear references... Lots of references.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafroggys View Post
    (the best I can do is drums + midi, which isn't exciting).
    LOL

I happen to like that midi sound.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Master View Post
    $6-700 for one song is less than what you'd normally pay "pro rate" for a single instrument on one song in many cases. That said, I can assume this isn't AFM stuff or professional session players.

I'd want to hear references... Lots of references.
    Yeah, man. I totally agree. You could get some awesome gear for that price. Like I said, check out their sites and clients. Let me know what you think. I'm not too experienced in dealing with recording studios, so I wouldn't know how to quote for a song.

Thanks
    I thought about doing something similar as well to sweeten long distance singer songwriter types. I.e guitar vocal mixes to add backing key parts drums percussions lead work etc. I've done it a few times with a few pro studios but my lil place isnt to shabby, so they blended pretty well, but they were hiring me as producer so I had more freedom then say mix my song my way kind of thing.

Thanks
    Sounds like you're looking at demo studios. They're pretty common in Nashville. I know the owner of this one from another forum:

http://www.nashvilledemostudio.com/

They do great work. Session musicians and top notch singers. They're geared towards songwriters who want a quality demo to pitch to labels and performing artists.

Ya gotta be careful with who you go with because there are some out there who don't do a good job and charge a lot. There are some who will also say they will pitch your song for you after they make a demo, if you pay them more money. Avoid any studio who asks for upfront money to pitch your song.

Thread Information