Internal or external amps?

Dire Wolf

Hi:
My question concerns monitors with internal amps or non-powered monitors with an external amp? $500-$750 budget for total setup.

I am recording acoustic blues guitar and voice (the widest signal range, I know!) on a 1/2" reel to reel through a Soundcraft mixer.

Is there other equipment I may buy in the future which will need to be powered by an external amp?

Advice/experience is much appreciated. Thanks!
DW

Hey Dire Wolf, I'm in a similar situation and price-range as you, I've been searching all the pro-audio newsgroups looking into the whole monitor/power-amp thing and...

I've decided to go with the separate monitor and amp set-up. Powered monitors are convenient but if the "power part" goes out, your speaker is useless alone, and if your monitor blows, the "power-part" is useless alone. Also, if I get a separate power-amp, I can always keep it when I decide to switch/upgrade my speakers.

I've heard alot of people complaining that the Alesis RA-100 can hum (something about a quality control issue at Alesis?) and that it does not provide balanced jacks. I think that I'm gonna go with the Sampson Servo 120 ($159) because it is a single space rachmount unit that provides balanced jacks and 65 watts per side which is fine (actually, too loud) for my home set-up.

As far as the speakers themselves, I haven't decided yet, but, after doing TONS of research and listening to everyone's opinion I've "narrowed" it down to The KRK Rockits or KROKs ($289/$389 pair), the Tannoy Reveals ($319 pair). But I'm also still looking into the Event 20/20 ($289 pair) or the Spirit Absolute Zeros or Absolute 2 ($189/$300 pair).

Sorry about such a long reply, this is my first time here and I wanted to "give back" some of the info that others have given to me.

See Ya!

I think monkeyking has given mostly good advice here, but, I do not advise a Sampson amp, nor a amp that only outputs 65 watts per side if you are looking to power up something like the Event 20/20's (which is what I use, and I doubt you will find a finer monitor).

From my long years of working for big live sound companies I learned a few things about power amps and speakers. First, quality speaker manufactures ALWAYS underrate the power handling ability of their components. Second, power amp companies ALWAYS overrate their amps output wattage.

This is a nice thing to do it would seem to keep the average consumer from mismatching a amp/speaker combo. But a few things are missing here.

Distorting the input of an amp can cause the amp to output up to 500% of it's listed output. So in the case of a 65 watt amp, that would be over 400 watts outputted if the input of the amp is clipped.

This is important to remember when deciding upon the power rating you need for an amp.

I run a Hafler P-3000 to my Events. The Hafler ouputs about 350 a side at 4 ohms, about 280 or so at 8 ohms. The Events are of course at 8 ohms. So while this is way over the rated power capabilities of the Events (which is really a very very very conservative rating), it also creates a whole lot of head room to keep my monitoring amp from creating distortion that could make me make bad decisions about the mix. This extra headroom also makes sure that the speaker is always performing at it's peak.

Make no mistake, low wattage amps are not good for monitoring in the studio. You are going to need an amp that at least outputs 250 watts per side at 8 ohms to keep your audio clean, and make sure that the speakers are thumping properly. This of course makes for a bigger expense, but, if you maybe play out live sometimes and need a power amp for that application, you would have this seperate, high wattage amp available to you.

Good luck.

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

I've got the powered version of Ed's monitors...
Event 20/20p ... I think these are the best monitors around in this price range. I paid around $500 for them, but I think I saw them on sale last week at GC for around $399 or something (?).
One thing about monitors with internal amps, check them out to make sure they have a volume control (20/20p's do NOT). If they don't have a volume not for the internal amp, you'll either need to control this level on your console (if it has a control room level), or fashion some kind of attentuator between the mixer and monitors.

Back