I wish I...

It's always part of any budget I quote. I can do it. I'm slow and I don't want to. The editors I use are extremely good, they get credited, and they have no problem with me hanging around and "producing"....

It's always part of any budget I quote. I can do it. I'm slow and I don't want to. The editors I use are extremely good, they get credited, and they have no problem with me hanging around and "producing"....

Yeah, I'll just hang in the back on the couch, legs up, having a drink...commenting every once in awhile. "Ehem, I can HEAR that splice..(sips drink)". My goal

Ha! Yeah, the super fun stuff... Not.

Seriously though. It can take me 2 full days. And it comes right after I'm in the "zone" of laying down the guitars and bass. So I have the sound in mind, am ready to mix, but nope... Gotta cut everything up and tidy it all up. Crossfades, melodyne, comping, man... Kills the flow.

There’s always starting with better tracks : )

Stop it. Editing always has and always will be a part of the process. Just stop. You want to come here and hit stop when the vocals break for an interlude, then hit record again? Didnt think so.

You will always have garbage stuff to clean up. Better has nothing to do with it.

I agree, there’s always something. But, no, I don’t personally slice and dice every track. Like your example, if the vocals take a break, unless there’s a reason to silence it, I don’t. Another point, rather than slice and dice, automation for simple things like your vocal example is quicker if your familiar with your software. Maybe just the proper use of dynamic effects, it’s a personal choice. Editing is as much an ‘art’ as recording or mixing.

However, ya, if there are huge tears in the song, better to get the performance on disk that won’t require endless hours to ‘forge’ a performance.

I agree, there’s always something. But, no, I don’t personally slice and dice every track. Like your example, if the vocals take a break, unless there’s a reason to silence it, I don’t. Another point, rather than slice and dice, automation for simple things like your vocal example is quicker if your familiar with your software.

However, ya, if there are huge tears in the song, better to get the performance on disk that won’t require endless hours to ‘forge’ a performance.

Most of us don't live in soundproof caves. There are noises that need to be edited out of silent parts of tracks. No use or sense keeping tracks there that aren't contributing to the song. If there's any nearby traffic or any noises at all, you need to remove it.

Oh. I forgot. You're referencing the 1% that actually record in completely dead silent rooms. You realize you're on HR? Thats home recording.

Seriously though. It can take me 2 full days. And it comes right after I'm in the "zone" of laying down the guitars and bass. So I have the sound in mind, am ready to mix, but nope... Gotta cut everything up and tidy it all up. Crossfades, melodyne, comping, man... Kills the flow.

There should be an option to crossfade automatically. I'm sure you do already, but if not, set all the million options the way you want then save as your standard template.

It can take me 2 full days.

Why the rush? :p

I would love to spend only 2 days of pure editing with any song project...it would be fine with me if I could get everything done in that much time...but in reality, that might cover only a few of the tracks on some stuff.

Of course..."editing" is a very loose term, since there are different levels of it, and also some people only refer to specific tasks as "editing"...and the rest they lump into "mixing" or whatever they call it.
I'll admit that I can edit like a Mofo, and I can/will do shit that 9-out-of-10 people will avoid, ignore, miss or not be able to.
I don't say that 'cuz I'm some editing whiz-kid...it's just that I can slog through editing tasks that most people would not even attempt to tackle...too much work.

This also has little to do with "just record better tracks".
It's not about taking a bad performance or recorded track and making it way better...it's 90% about housecleaning, prepping the tracks so they are free of any clutter or crap that you don't need. Doing comps of multiple *good* tracks to end up with the best composite take.
I'll edit out string noise or lips smacks or hiss between the audio...etc....also it may involve level adjustments on some notes/beats or vocals.

Most top-level pros have a bunch of assistants doing the editing for them...even when the tracks were recorded very well. The rest of us have to do our own.
If I was working on a pay-for project, I would certainly charge extra depending on which level of editing it needed, and was desired by the client.

There should be an option to crossfade automatically. I'm sure you do already, but if not, set all the million options the way you want then save as your standard template.

Each take requires an actual ear to know how soon or late to cut the fade. Perhaps a breath is useful in one spot, but an annoyance in another. It depends on tempo, singers' methods, and, ultimately the vibe of the song.

I completely agree with Miroslav. For once. ? I actually appreciate that you spend more time than that. It's what I least look forward to. And, like I said, it comes right when the creative stuff is flowing.

Oh well. Its necessary. Just wanted to complain for no good reason.

Fuck it,. Just put your band in the room throw up a mic, or two if you want stereo, and hit record. Problem solved :D

Eh.... I take it you're in editing drudgery land right now? :)

Fuck it,. Just put your band in the room throw up a mic, or two if you want stereo, and hit record. Problem solved :D

Eh.... I take it you're in editing drudgery land right now? :)

I wish I had the guts to try a recording like Albini. Obviously, having virt drums makes that near impossible, but it would be cool to hear it without any synth or dry with added verb, as opposed to a great room sound.

Yeah, had to edit for several hours, study for exams, then more editing later this week. School taking up lots of time.

Most of us don't live in soundproof caves. There are noises that need to be edited out of silent parts of tracks. No use or sense keeping tracks there that aren't contributing to the song. If there's any nearby traffic or any noises at all, you need to remove it.

Oh. I forgot. You're referencing the 1% that actually record in completely dead silent rooms. You realize you're on HR? Thats home recording.

If you do time in dedicated studio space, you’ll find they also experience unwanted artifacts. Where you record has little to do with what is recorded. If the musicians are prepared and rehearsed it saves the Engineer untold hours forging a performance. I also agree with one of the other posters, it should be house cleaning.

My comment about better performance is not a comment on anyone’s talent, no need to descend into condescension.

Peace.

We are all agreeing it's housekeeping stuff. I dont see where anyone said anything other than that... Nor do I see where anyone took it as a dig at talent..it was about the near impossibility of recording any other sounds than those intending for recording. Things will happen. And we clean them up.

Why the rush? :p

I would love to spend only 2 days of pure editing with any song project...it would be fine with me if I could get everything done in that much time...but in reality, that might cover only a few of the tracks on some stuff.

Of course..."editing" is a very loose term, since there are different levels of it, and also some people only refer to specific tasks as "editing"...and the rest they lump into "mixing" or whatever they call it.
I'll admit that I can edit like a Mofo, and I can/will do shit that 9-out-of-10 people will avoid, ignore, miss or not be able to.
I don't say that 'cuz I'm some editing whiz-kid...it's just that I can slog through editing tasks that most people would not even attempt to tackle...too much work.

This also has little to do with "just record better tracks".
It's not about taking a bad performance or recorded track and making it way better...it's 90% about housecleaning, prepping the tracks so they are free of any clutter or crap that you don't need. Doing comps of multiple *good* tracks to end up with the best composite take.
I'll edit out string noise or lips smacks or hiss between the audio...etc....also it may involve level adjustments on some notes/beats or vocals.

Most top-level pros have a bunch of assistants doing the editing for them...even when the tracks were recorded very well. The rest of us have to do our own.
If I was working on a pay-for project, I would certainly charge extra depending on which level of editing it needed, and was desired by the client.

When you "purify" the tracks you allow the brilliance and beauty of what was captured to come through. I don't record "bad" tracks. It's not worth the time. But there's a huge jump from what I like to call a 'local' level recording as opposed to a 'national'...or greater .. The editors that are really good at their task are indispensable. Of course there has to be talent and content with the material before any of this means a crap.

When I'm 'producing'....ANYTHING and I do mean anything that distracts from the flow of the song is gone. Since I do tend to record the basics live off the floor, this means everyone has to be hitting it at the same time. The groove has to be happening. I tell every client that my edit pencil knows no favorites but only serves the song. So leave the ego outside the door.

The only editing I do myself are the time based things. I will move notes around in leads...move vocals in time...but only if it's better. And that's the hard part. Knowing when it's better and being able to make those decisions.

Producing.

And then there is that....

Editing/mixing/producing... whatever you wan't to call it, is a necessity and part of the product. It just has to be done. Not sure I could or would try to trust someone else to do it. But then, that is what I do.

It can get tiring but it worth it in the end.

I wish I had the guts to try a recording like Albini. Obviously, having virt drums makes that near impossible, but it would be cool to hear it without any synth or dry with added verb, as opposed to a great room sound.

Yeah, had to edit for several hours, study for exams, then more editing later this week. School taking up lots of time.

You have my sympathies. :D

On the Albini method...... one of my favorite ways to record. It doesn't take guts at all. :)
It takes a good room, or at least a room that you know like the back of your hand in the dark, and some good WELL rehearsed musicians. :)

It's great fun to tell the band........No, we're not gonna fix it in the mix. No, you don't get countless retakes. No, we're not gonna comp your solo. No we're not gonna time align your takes, etc. :)

Gentlemen, we got 16 tracks and tape's expensive.. let's rock! :thumbs up:

You'd be suprised. Performances can be gotten out of the band that they didn't even think they were capable of.
:D

Back