I wish I...

Automating the 'space' between sections to silence is one of the last things I do during mixing. If its a (louder) rock song, its many times not even necessary unless there is a noticeably loud burp/buzz/wheeze there.
During a playback of a mix, I can usually do most of a single vocal automation (to take care of the silences) in 2 passes - I'm doing it 'ahead' of the vocal by a few phrases, draw the 4 'dots' for out and in, pull the volume down between them.

I hate doing the housekeeping, always have. I will leave it til later if i'm in creating mode though. Which makes it take longer once I get around to doing it. I keep asking people if they want to learn how to record in the hopes of talking some gullible person into doing the grunt work. No luck so far:cursing:

I've been trying to be more disciplined about it lately.
When I switch instruments - since I'm already breaking the flow of recording - I take the time to edit the previous instrument.

It helps because it means that I don't have that massive, tedious hour+ of editing everything before I start mixing.

It probably also helps me get better performances from later instruments in that there is less likely to have timing differences that would have been edited otherwise.

Back