i need a check list for mixing please

jugalo180

www.moneyistherecipe.com
can anyone willing to help, post a check list for recording and mixing. i'm only using soundfornts and samples from my keyboard and the internet. i have a shure58 running into a mackie mixer, then going into a 16bit sb audigy card( i know, shame on me). i do my editing in acid and forge. i'm monitoring through headphones, and stereo speakers(again, shame on me).

what i'm asking for is a check list to mix my music/pre produce my music. ie,
1 record all tracks
2 cut frequencies in vocals
3 double vocals
4 add a little reverb, if desired
5 soft or hard pan as desired

so on and so on. i'm looking for advice from as many people who want to dish it. since i'm a newbie, i just feel if i had a check list (sort of a bible) that i would work more proficient and my sound would benifit from the consistency. once i have an adopted routine down i can then experiment for my own signature sound. thanx in advance to everyone.

Wow.... That's a crazy question. I really cannot think of a way just to start of such a list...

Each recording is different, and the only thing you can do is listen. Train your ears by comparing what you did to alot of other recordings. What is the difference, why, is it bad? Then listen back to your own recording, don't try to make it sound alike, just try to make it sound better.

There's no such thing as a list, and I cannot think of anything like that either...

...even if there were, everyone's would be different. For me, my list looks like this:

1) Track
2) Mix
3) Master

oh, and then

4) Re-track the screwed up parts
5) Mix the re-tracked parts
6) Re-do the entire mix which is different now
7) Master
8) Chuck the mastering, mix some more
9) Get pissed off, watch TV and drink
10) Finalize Mix
11) Master
12) Upload to MP3 Clinic
13) Repeat steps 4-13

:D

Well the basic guidline is...

Track

Edit

Mix

Mastering

But like stated above, the inbetween details are different for everyone.

As long as you remember that somewhere in there, you gotta have a drinking step. At least one. I have a drinking step in between all others... :cool:

Shit.. I just realized that he wanted a check list for MIXING, not RECORDING...

Well, same goes, every one is different...

I always get the drums sounding good, then the bass to go with them, and then I work on vocals... Guitars and keys are the last thing, that I mix in..

Joe

Roel said:
As long as you remember that somewhere in there, you gotta have a drinking step. At least one. I have a drinking step in between all others... :cool:

In 1933, No computer existed, but there was plenty of whisky.:cool:

About this mixing thing, it'd be cool to get an idea...ya ya everyones different blah blah this and that can anyone give idea's abou twhere in the mix you place things? I just started recording 3 months ago so im new.....my first song is...
-bass & lead vox panned center
-rythme guitar panned L30
-lead rythme guitar panned R30 to match
-solo center
-second vox L10
-drum in stereo hard L & R

Are there positions for insterments that say is more common? Not than mine cause i know anything can go but in general?

Just an FYI- It's a bit rude to ask a very detailed question then paraphrase the answers with "ya, ya, blah, blah...".

There is no one check list. This guy had the same type of question http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50641&highlight=cut+chase

Read everything you can get your hands on and you will probably learn some new tricks every step of the way. You seem to have a good general idea of where to pan stuff so anything else will be more 'tips and tricks' kind of stuff and this BBS is loaded with them.

Back