i could use a little mixing and mastering advice

Levant

ok maybe I could use a lot of advice haha.. im new at this and my work will probably be evidence of that.... so I know I have lots to learn. anyway, I have a song that I wrote, preformed, recorded and mixed. all to the best of my untrained inexperienced ability. the song is at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/tmamusic.htm its called Baby Girl. All im asking for is a little advice from some people who really know what they are talking about. I don’t know if you guys like island music but go ahead and download the MP3 version of the song and tell me what I can do to get a more professional mix. any advice on other aspects of the song would be appreciated as well go ahead and tell me how bad is sucks if ya want, i'll accept criticism as long as i can learn from it. i know the vocals need some distance, they are to up front, is there a ways to push them back a little with out adding to much reverb? ... thanks for all your help....

I'm going to apologize in advance for this, because I'm a Newbie here, and undoubtably have no standing to be saying anything.

I've seen a couple of threads now where a newbie posts a request for critiquing of a mix, and the response has been a very blaring (paraphrased, but the message is clear) - Use the mp3 mixing clinic you dummy.

I know (now) about the mp3 mixing clinic, and it's a great idea. But is it unreasonable to expect that a person, a newbie in particular, would post a request to listen to a mix in the mixing/mastering forum? That's what I did. No, no one blasted me for doing so, but I have seen it happen to a couple of others.

I'm not trying to start a war, heck, I love this place! I just think that sometimes the response is a little harsh. Perhaps it could be avoided by changing the name of the Mixing/Mastering forum to something like "Mixing/Mastering Questions, Do Not Post Mixes Here". Then again, perhaps I'm looking at it the wrong way. Maybe if you're a Newbie on a forum, it's incumbent on you to read up on the forum enough in advance of posting, so as to make sure you post in the right place. If so, I stand corrected.

Again, I apologize if this ruffles any feathers. A newbie posting his first ever mix is probably feeling quite vulnerable to begin with, that's my whole point. Thanks for listening.

Well.... when anyone registers, it clearly points out that one should make the effort to post in the right forum.... considering a newbie has to look at the forums list to find a forum, and the description of each forum is right there in front of them, there really is no excuse for not posting in the right place..........

Last edited:
Newbie-hazing is an old and rich tradition, ripe with fun and humor.

If you take it too serious, or just don't get it, then you need to develop a sense of humor fast or get the heck out.

I would consider your post to be correct in this forum... After all,,it is of a mixing/mastering topic... Plus,,, you may just get the "second opinion" here,,, that you may not find in another forum...Who Knows???? It's all good!!!

I've got an idea that'll keep everyone happy - Post a tune in the MP3 clinic and then post here that you posted a tune in the MP3 clinic.

Except for there being so many posts, it falls within acceptable protocol...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

hey you woh girl

your vocals and idea kicks ass your music however sucks ass whats is your email address i will make the music for you and you can tell me how to send it to you and that song will be awsome come on dude what have you got to loose and if you hate it you junk it you can reach me at www.talentedblissent@cox.net
i can do music but i suck at puting it through th web let me know somthing or you can post it with just the vocal i can put music to it mix it master it send it to you no charge just to show my stuff

kiss my sweet candy behind. Im totaly honest & its shouldnt be a bigdeal anyway nobody can do it all well your gonna lack somthing. if im not conviced about my production how can i expect any one else to be furthermore what did you say how did you offer to help? good music happens when people put thier best ability together and make something wonderfull no one can record produce sing edit and arrange one song by them self and make a hit record not to mention mix and master it takes more than one pair of ears besides he has nothing to loose only to gain how does your stuff sound?

Blisstiful,

I'll admit I've never been one to have the greatest people skills on this board. :D But then, if I were approaching someone for a possible collaboration, I might try using a little more honey if I wanted some of those bees. Just a little advice for ya.

I do like what you have to say, though:

"no one can record produce sing edit and arrange one song by them self and make a hit record not to mention mix and master it . . . "

What? Are you kidding? When I get replies from people who totally disregard the rules of grammar and punction and who tell me my music "sucks ass," I am immediately driven to collaborate with them!

Yeah....

sheesh!

:rolleyes:

Re: blisstiful.....

Blue Bear Sound said:
What about some punctuation? AT the very least you can make the effort to post something remotely readable.......

Jeez Bear, haven't you shaken off the post hibernation grumpies yet? Go down to the river and scoop out a nice fattie. ;)

Blisstiful - Gotta admit, you are taking the "spelling and punctuation doen't count" rule a bit over the top.

Re: blisstiful.....

Blue Bear Sound said:
What about some punctuation? AT the very least you can make the effort to post something remotely readable.......

C'mon. I counted at least two periods and two question marks in his second post.

That's four more than were in the first one.

Apparently, however, the shift key on his keyboard remains inoperable. :(

Besides, Bliss it totally honest. Honesty overshadows any gramatical short-comings (or EE). Levant are you still with us? Maybe not....but hope you got some help. Good luck/Happy Holidays.

Back