how to separate drum parts to separate channels in sonnar 8?

semsem612

If i am having an audio style on one channel in sonnar, then how i could separate the drum parts to separate channels? Thanks a lot.

I don't know if I'm not getting what you're saying, but it sounds to me like you're trying to un-bake a cake or de-scramble eggs. It doesn't work like that.

I mean that I am having a style beats recorded as audio not as midi on one track in sonar 8. I want to split this style to its drum parts on separate channels.

Common stereo audio is an electrical waveform for a left channel and a waveform for a right channel.

There are no 'parts' to separate.

This would be done when exporting the drum part from the drum plugin/VST, so you will need to figure out how to send each drum and cymbal to its own track from the application you use to generate the drum parts. I know Superior Drummer has a mix down option where all the drums 'tracks' get dumped into Sonar as individual tracks.

I don't know if I'm not getting what you're saying, but it sounds to me like you're trying to un-bake a cake or de-scramble eggs. It doesn't work like that.

Actually I am in the middle of something similar to this right now. I stumbled upon an old song I recorded probably over 10 years ago with an old band of mine. I miss those guys and the band dearly and thought it would be fun to resurrect the old multitrack files and re-mix (no, not a "remix") the song now that I have a ton more mixing know-how and better gear/software/acoustics and actually know how to use it all.

All that being said, back then I didn't have the option to record drums onto separate tracks. I had a Behringer 16 track mixer. I'd run all my drum mics into it, eq/pan/level adjust everything on the mixer, use an old Alesis microverb as a hardware aux verb, and then send the stereo output of the board into my old PC's music in jack! hahaha. But VERY surprisingly , it actually sounds very cool and usable. There's little to any noise or hisses or hums, and the eq'ing and level balancing, pan, phase, etc I did on the way in actually sounds very decent enough to work with and mangle a little bit.

But I DO want to have a little more control over individual drums as opposed to a single stereo track. So I made a copy of that full drum track onto a few different channels. With track 1 being my "main drum sound" or "pseudo overheads", I started with the kick on Track 2. I zoomed in and listened and isolated each and every kick stroke. I put Slate Trigger on that with a kick sample and it's as accurate as could be and in phase. Now I have a kick channel to sort of "help" the kick sound in the stereo drum mix. On Track 3 I went at the snare the same as i did with the kick. On the next couple tracks I did the same with the toims. It was a little time consuming, but now I have some awesome Slate drum samples on every indivisdual drum to "help" the overall stereo drum mix.

I am going to use the stereo drum track as my pseudo "overhead" track, rolling off some lows and eq'ing out some boxiness in the mids, and giving it a little high shelf. Followed by a fairly transparent soft knee compressor, compressing only the kick and snare hits on that track, to bring up the volume of the cymbals and toms in the track. And guess what? It actually sounds like a really well mic'ed up stereo drum OH track with all elements sitting nicely. This is all sacrifice of course. I mean I would have preferred doing it properly but this is all I have to work with and with these top notch samples with great room ambiance in them, it's sounding VERY usable and you'd never known in the full mix. Very fun and cool.

Back