How to send guitar stems for mixing studio?

YanKleber

Retired
So, as some of you know I am finishing my first album and due to lack of available cash I mixed it and am preparing (I won't use the word *mastering*) it for a few copies – really few, probably less than 15.

I was thinking though that maybe in a near future when I won't too financially tight with other things I can spend some money in a professional mixing and mastering.

Now my question is about how to send the stuff for a pro studio.

I have seen in mostly of studios ads that they ask to send the stems without any effect. But the point here is that a big portion of my electric guitar tones comes from a lot of experimentation with the effects, specially the amp and cabinets setup, stomp boxes, etc, mostly of times including delay and reverb. So, in such case I should:

1) Send the stems WITH effects to preserve exactly the tone I want; - OR -
2) Send the stems WITHOUT the effects and hope that the engineer can reproduce exactly my original tone based on the demo that I will send along with the stems

:confused:

Option 1. But you have to work with the engineer. He may ask for the same stem, but without reverb (as an example).

i can see breaking out drums and bass, vox, and music...
but individual guitar stems?

if you can't mix them down the way they should be, something's wrong with your approach

i can see breaking out drums and bass, vox, and music...
but individual guitar stems?

if you can't mix them down the way they should be, something's wrong with your approach

I think I used the wrong term. For 'stems' please read 'tracks' and not subgroups... Sorry.

If I were mixing your stuff, I would ask for both. The only reason why I wouldn't want your stems/tracks with effects is because I probably don't mix like you do. So the amount of effects might not work within the mix that I would give you. In other words, if you give me everything the way you do it, I really get backed into a corner and will end up with a mix that isn't much different than yours. Which is a waste of time and money.

If I were mixing your stuff, I would ask for both. The only reason why I wouldn't want your stems/tracks with effects is because I probably don't mix like you do. So the amount of effects might not work within the mix that I would give you. In other words, if you give me everything the way you do it, I really get backed into a corner and will end up with a mix that isn't much different than yours. Which is a waste of time and money.

Cool, Farview, thank you very much for this input, you really have a point. :)

Back