how to reduce drum and rhythm when vocal appear?

istyle

ok i'm doing vocal now
but wanna know how other group the rhythm section and reduce volume when the vocal
comes in
i listened to many songs and thought the drum
still has the same volume?
thnx

Yo Driller of Teeth Istyle:

Get a mic pre-amp, like one of the ART models. Run your vocal through the pre-amp; play with the imput/output knobs; don't use too much imput but you can push the output plus your line control if needed and if you have one on your whatever you are recording with.

This mic pre will/should put your vocal UP FRONT. Or, record your vocal on two tracks and this will definitely put your vocal UP FRONT. A good mic, like the AKG 3000 will also help put your vocal up front, like some of the old Sinatra recordings on those great vintage mics he used.

It took me a year or so to get the idea of how to get a vocal in the spotlight; the mic-pre amp helped solve the problem, as well as choosing a GOOD CLEAN REVERB ROOM and that depends on the skill of the vocalist and their savvy/mic technique volume control etc.

Keep twiddling those dials and if I'm ever in your area, you owe me a freebie on tooth-cleaning.

The Green Hornet

thnx yo !
already got art pre-amp
whatabout the volume of other instruments level?
i mean at intro you have to catch audience's breath
with hi-volume music so when the vocal kicks in you gonna have your volume clipping
so how you deal with this problem?
reduce the drum?or...
thnx,yes fly to thailand and i'll clean your teeth for free!

It seems to me that he's talking about ducking. Or most likely, talking about radio. Radio compresses sooo much, that when the vocals come in, instruments such as drums, get pushed back in the mix. Is this what you're talking about?

Istyle the tooth man:

Thanks man for the freebie; however, the plane fair would be prohibitive but it would be a nice trip since I've never been to that part of the globe.

Try putting the vocal on two tracks as I mentioned or three tracks.

Are you doing the music? If so, you can experiment running the music, part by part, through the same pre-amp; if not what you have is a "balance" problem. If you go too loud then all you get is loud beside loud. If you get the right balance, put some horns left, some right, keyboard in the middle, you can create the stereo "largeness" you are seeking and fit in the vocal "up front" loud. Clipping won't solve your problem; but, there is a fine line between clip and large sound. You would also need a good reverb unit or a good tweak with the one you're using. Somewhere on this site someone mentioned how radio "pumps" up its broadcast sound; that is what you probably DON'T want. If you want CD sound, you need to record at the CD hertz levels and have the equipment to do it.

Keep twiddling the dials. And avoid over-using flouride.

Green Hornet

What recording software are you using? Do you have automated mixing? What do you know about eq?
You could simply assign the drums to a sub-group and manually pull them down a bit when the vocals come in and bring em back when the vocals are done.
You could try boosting eq (probably mids/high mids) in the vocal and be sure there are none of the same boosts in the drums. You may be able to keep the drums at the correct VOLUME but be sure they are not fighting the vocal on the same FREQUENCY.
Man I read that in a book and when I started to eq with 1/2 of an idea as to what is correct, my mixes got better. More space between the instruments. Same levels.

Back