How-to for mixing voice and video

andrushkiwt

Alright, I want to make a definitive thread for sharing your way of making mixing tutorials, where by your voice is added to the video of your DAW. The final product, in other words, is a video capture of your DAW, with its audio, and your own voice over it, as if explaining what you're seeing. All components, then, are:

1. DAW/computer screen video capture
2. audio coming from DAW
3. audio coming from voice-over

There are tons of these videos on YT and other places, but it has proved somewhat complicated for me to mimic. There are usually a plethora of programs you need, that all have to interact with each other also, in order to do this - at least in the way I've seen. One of those ways included a "mixer" program, which managed audio from all the sources, and another program(app) for the video portion, and those two needed to speak to each other.

Does anyone know another, easier, way to do this? Obviously, the voice from your voice-over can be another audio channel in the DAW that you've added.

Do you do this? Do you know any easier way? The mixing channel programs that were recommended back when I last tried this weren't compatible with something on my system - either WIN 10 or something. So, Im seeking alternative methods.

I'll add that I'd like to be able to do this when sharing clips on HR or problems/issues I'm having. That way, everyone can see the issue without having to guess what's happening and what I'm seeing. It's also good if someone is asking "how did you do...."; then I can make a quick vid and share it with them.

example, if you need one (i just searched "mixing tutorial" and picked something on the first page):

YouTube

I think it's terrific you're doing this, and why you're doing this.

After watching many YouTubers in similar vids, my only input at this point would be that when you do begin making your own tutorials, remember to s t a y - o n - t o p i c.

So many toobers spend more time sidetracking than on the topic.

Good luck, man!

I think it's terrific you're doing this, and why you're doing this.

Oh I'm not uploading them to YT or anything. Just for HR, if I need to share a clip with someone or if I have a question to post. More for using on here with friends or whoever, should the issue come up. Which it has quite a few times already.

Your best bet is to just Google "Screen capture with voiceover"...since there are dozens of apps out there now that will let you do this...some free, some buy, some better, some worse...so you kinda have to weed through all that and find the one that suits you.

You also need to figure out where you're going to host these videos if not on YouTube. I don't think HR hosts video clips.
Some of the apps also may offer hosting services...where you do the screen capture and it stream to their servers, and then you just get the embed code and stick it where you want on any web page.

If you bypass the voiceover and audio part...and you want something to just do screen capture and your mouse movement...there's stuff for that too and it's much easier since the recording is done as an animated GIF, so you can pretty much stick it on any web page or email to people...very small file size.
I've used that a bunch of times at my day gig when I wanted to show someone how to do something on the computer...so they can see where/what they have to click on to execute a certain action. It saves time by not having to type out long instructions in emails which most don't want to read. The visual was quicker.
People use that approach a lot over on the Samplitude forum when someone wants to explain what they did or how...or someone else wants to help show something.
That app, that I've used, is called "licecap": Cockos Incorporated | LICEcap

If you bypass the voiceover and audio part...and you want something to just do screen capture and your mouse movement..

Good info. I'd like to be able to explain certain decisions or what the problem is, and/or bypass effects in the DAW to A/B them. All three sources are needed for my intentions, unfortunately.

You can put videos on YouTube as Unpublished, which will embed just fine but are not searchable like Public videos, i.e., they don't have the problems seen with something like SoundCloud's Private tracks, which have a URL not recognized by the embed players. They're also not seen if someone browses to your YT Channel.

To put together anything watchable, you have to have a decent video editor, and I do the voiceover all separately with a script. You can edit that to get the timing right, and once you have the script, you'll also have the CC content for the video, which is always a plus for anything semi-educational.

I used TechSmith's Snagit for video screen captures when I was teaching at the JC a couple years back. It works pretty well, but you don't have all the nifty features of the higher end products, and there're probably others out there now, but it had a really good educational discount. I still used it on occasion.

P.S. I'd just capture the DAW's audio while you're doing the screen capture, but you *will* have to edit the video, so you're going to have to edit that audio. Might as well add in the voiceover and sync it all to the video at that point. The video capture can capture your input to the DAW so you'll have an audio track in the edited video that you can export and add to the DAW project in post to edit the tracks recorded while making the video and sync those to the video. Then, add your voiceover, mute/delete the video track, and put the bounce of that in as the video's audio track. Should line up just fine.

[MENTION=185749]andrushkiwt[/MENTION]
I use Camtasia for my screen capture, whenever I am doing how-to or e-learning projects. Although Camtasia will capture audio, I always capture my VO in Reaper. I know Camtasia will accept my external mic input. However, I have never tried to capture on-board audio, concurrently with external audio. I will test that out, after while, and report back.

Others may jump in and share a more efficient workflow, but I capture the high-quality video portion, on one computer, and audio on my Reaper-PC. After editing and sweetening the VO track, I will then pull the video and audio into HitFilm Express to edit the vid, and to synch with the VO. HitFilm lets me render in HD, is close to the power of PremierPro, and it is free...
Dale

...just read [MENTION=196982]keith.rogers[/MENTION] post. Get out of my head :-)

Last edited:
I don't mind if the voiceover is sloppy and I don't think the recipients of the video will either. It's intended to be passed to friends or for posting issues or interesting things on HR. It's def not a tutorial-like channel that I'm trying to set up. But if I have something I want to share with a few people, I'd like to be able to record the audio sources and let them see my screen, all very quickly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try these out soon.

Back