How to mix the chorus effect on vocals?

To get a natural chorus effect, you need to sing very similarly with each take. It helps if you can actually sing.

For a plug-in based effect, you need to just twiddle knobs and see what happens.

Download the free Kjaerhus Classic Chorus plug-in. It aint the best chorus ever, but it's really easy to use and can teach you a lot about how rate and depth affect the sound.

To get a natural chorus effect, you need to sing very similarly with each take. It helps if you can actually sing.

For a plug-in based effect, you need to just twiddle knobs and see what happens.

Yes, but this doesn't answer his question.

The effect in the two songs you've linked to, is accomplished by layering multiple voices, not multiple takes. If you're just singing the chorus yourself, you'll get a thickening effect with what you're doing but you're not gonna get the effect you're after, unless you have other singers singing with you. It's the different timbres of the voices that makes it sound the way it does. Plus, on "where is the love," Justin Timberlake is featured in the chorus along with Fergie and the boys.

If you're unable to get more singers for your choruses, you could try laying down more backing takes and use a pitch shifter to change the formants, which will make you sound different than you do while still keeping you in pitch. I've never tried it, but in my head it could be a substitute. You won't know until you try, though.

Good luck,
Ryan

Yes, but this doesn't answer his question.

Ryan

You really didnt answer it either, I think the OP is refering to a stereo chorus effect, the effect on the black eyed peas song is accomplished by using a wide left straight signal with a wide right signal with a 3-10ms delay, this creates the effect that the harmonies are on the outsides of the mix, its used in pop music all the time.

You really didnt answer it either, I think the OP is refering to a stereo chorus effect, the effect on the black eyed peas song is accomplished by using a wide left straight signal with a wide right signal with a 3-10ms delay, this creates the effect that the harmonies are on the outsides of the mix, its used in pop music all the time.

Perhaps I didn't... I did however, listen to both tracks and noted that both songs contained "gang" vocals, (e.g. multiple singers, a real chorus), and thought that's what the OP was after. You could be right though, and it may be the spread & delay effect he/she is asking about, and not the actual "chorusing". I guess we'll need more info from the OP.

Back