How good are the Waves CLA compressors?

DrewPeterson7

Sage of the Order
I switched to a Mac a couple months back, still work in Reaper, but the Antress compressors that had gradually become my go-to for damned near anything aren't Mac-compatable (I know they're not universally loved, but I really liked the Seventh Sign 1176LN clone and the Lost Angel LA-2A clone, partly because I think they were pretty good, and partly because I had gotten to know them and got used to them).

The CLA pack contains versions of both, and is currently on sale for $199 vs the normal $500, which is way more appealing than full price. It has the Waves take on the units those two Antress plugs are based on, as well as a third - has anyone tried both these and the Antress stuff? Also, if I liked those two Antress plugins, is there anything Mac friendly I should also look at? Freeware would be awesome as I now have a mortgage, but I'm willing to pay for something that sounds pretty good. :)

I have them and like them a lot. I have heard a comparison with the real thing and they are close, but there was some harmonic stuff in the higher frequencies of the real one. But good compressors for sure.

Anything else you would recommend that will actually run on a Mac? That's my one regret switching - it's fast, stable, and easy as hell to use, but the universe of 3rd party plugins you can use on a Mac is VERY small - pricey stuff like Waves, stuff that comes bundled in a DAW (and in the case of Logic, which is supposed to have exceptional plugins, you can only use them IN Logic), or stuff that only works on Windows.

I'm actually tempted to learn enough computer coding to try to port the Antress stuff to OSX. :lol:

I'm actually tempted to learn enough computer coding to try to port the Antress stuff to OSX. :lol:

See you in a couple of years. I think this requires low level OS programming. Much deeper than typical application stuff. Example, most DAWs program in C, C++, C#, maybe some assembler for speed. We ain't talking Angry Birds here.

I know you were just kidding, just making a point that the software that we use is a bit more complex than simple programming.

See you in a couple of years. I think this requires low level OS programming. Much deeper than typical application stuff. Example, most DAWs program in C, C++, C#, maybe some assembler for speed. We ain't talking Angry Birds here.

I know you were just kidding, just making a point that the software that we use is a bit more complex than simple programming.

I was absolutely just kidding. I have the programming aptitude of a medium-rare steak. I can write a bit of SQL, and traces of HTML, but that's it. :laughings:

Also, been talking with a buddy who just made the switch, and there's a fairly convoluted but totally workable way to run windows-only VSTs on macs involving a shell VST - I'm going to give that a go and see how it works.

To me, there are other better plugins around. The UAD versions are better. Even Bootsy's Thrillseeker LA is better.

Waves plugins are vanilla.

Cheers :)

I think they are alright, lot's of other vsts ect that does the job as well.
IMO it does not come close to the real thing in sound and how it acts.

I would also check these out.

Komplete : Effects : Vintage Compressors | Products

And there is a demo for the IK multi media ones as well. I have not use the LA2A or 1176 clones, but the opto comp and the model 670 are excellent.

IK Multimedia | T-RackS Vintage Compressors Bundle

This is supposed to be a 1176 clone (and it's cheaper than these others), I have never used it though.

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugins/stillwell-audio-plugins/rocket-compressor/

Also I guess the McDsp 6030 compressor is supposed to clone a lot of popular compressors. Again, have not tried it, but there is a demo for that as well.

http://mcdsp.com/plug-ins/6030-ultimate-compressor/

If I was buying right now and not using waves (or already own the opto comp and the 670) I would personally probably snag the IK pack as it's the best deal out of everything I posted IMO.

Variety of Sound is supposed to be great, but it's Windows-only. The Stillwell stuff looks decent, I'll grab the eval copy and play around a little. And the T-Racks stuff does look pretty good. I'll think about it a bit - like I said, finances are a little tight at the moment (I need furniture more than plugins) but that looks pretty reasonable if they sound good.

I was about to suggest the Stillwell stuff! The Major Tom is pretty cool, and the Vibe EQ is wicked.

The Waves CLA are nice and do what they do well. I've never had the honour to play with the real thing but the plugins alone make me want to even more than i already did.

I've said it before but i do really like the Focusrite Midnight Suite (Compressor and EQ) and for £99 it's well priced. I'm pretty sure there's demo versions on their website

I bought the CLA pack a week ago and I'm loving it (also invested in V-series plugs and I digg the EQs on there).
I'm a Pro Tools guy so I can't work with all the cool free VSTs all the cooler people on here can, but if you're running PT as well, I'd recommend them.

Otherwise, use the VSTs a few others have mentioned. Better yet, demo all of them and make the decision yourself!

I would also check these out.

Komplete : Effects : Vintage Compressors | Products

And there is a demo for the IK multi media ones as well. I have not use the LA2A or 1176 clones, but the opto comp and the model 670 are excellent.

IK Multimedia | T-RackS Vintage Compressors Bundle

This is supposed to be a 1176 clone (and it's cheaper than these others), I have never used it though.

The Rocket | Stillwell Audio - It's About The Sound

Also I guess the McDsp 6030 compressor is supposed to clone a lot of popular compressors. Again, have not tried it, but there is a demo for that as well.

6030 Ultimate Compressor
I tried the IK and Stillwell plugins some time ago and compared it with CLA plugins. Didn't like IK so much. Rocket on the other hand is in my opinion bit different kind of beast and I liked it. Really loved smashing bass guitars with it. :D

I bought the CLA pack a week ago and I'm loving it (also invested in V-series plugs and I digg the EQs on there).
I'm a Pro Tools guy so I can't work with all the cool free VSTs all the cooler people on here can, but if you're running PT as well, I'd recommend them.

Otherwise, use the VSTs a few others have mentioned. Better yet, demo all of them and make the decision yourself!
Just got V-series few months ago and I absolutely love it. Bought it because of the compressor, but I ended up using eq on every project.

I have used a real one. The UA anniversary model to boot. Having a 2:1 ratio was pretty nice.

There is something in the upper harmonics that is different than the plugins especially as you compress more. I thought it was especially noticeable on vocals.

Having said that though was the difference like "omg so much better good lord man!" No honestly I thought the difference was noticeable, but subtle.

I'm sure those who have these hardware units will argue with me as nobody likes to be told their $1600 investment isn't $1400 better than a plugin.

Speaking of emulated compressors. I have to say I find myself reaching for an SSL emulation far more than I do the 1176.

Back