How to get this sound/effect?

jimmyk

I am struggling with trying to get a sound similar to the effect in the guitar solo in the song "You Cut Me to the Bone" by Robben Ford and the Blue Line (1992). The solo starts at 1:24 in the song. He has this huge wide kind of slap back stereo effect going on, but I can't get anything close so I am looking for ideas. You have to listen to the studio version not the live version to really hear it. I am not interested in the "tone" as much, i.e. Dumble, guitar, etc., just more the super wide stereo guitar solo sound effect that I can apply to my own tone.

Any help greatly appreciated!

-Jim

Sounds like a wah and a delay. Delay panned.
:thumbs up:

Though on my computer, I can't tell if there's also some reverb in there too. I think if it was just dry signal with delay there would be more distinction between the notes, so it sounds like some reverb too maybe.

I play that way usually (I don't mean as good as Ford :D)...but that I use both delay and reverb. I like to set the delay so it's longer and just barley audible, and then I feed that to some bigger reverb effect, and adjust that to taste.
That way I don't get that hard, obvious delay slap...it just kinda sneaks in under the original/dry signal, and then the reverb glues it.

:thumbs up:

Though on my computer, I can't tell if there's also some reverb in there too. I think if it was just dry signal with delay there would be more distinction between the notes, so it sounds like some reverb too maybe.

I play that way usually (I don't mean as good as Ford :D)...but that I use both delay and reverb. I like to set the delay so it's longer and just barley audible, and then I feed that to some bigger reverb effect, and adjust that to taste.
That way I don't get that hard, obvious delay slap...it just kinda sneaks in under the original/dry signal, and then the reverb glues it.

Likely. It should not be that tough to get the same effect tho. Just jimmy with it Jimmy! :)

Likely. It should not be that tough to get the same effect tho. Just jimmy with it Jimmy! :)

Haha...I have read that Robben uses a Strymon Timeline delay. I found a setting that sounds similar (?) its the "Slapback Funk" here: on Strymons site (dang won't let me post the link...)

Maybe I will have to try to insert the Strymon as a hardware send in my Audio interface and see what it sounds like....

Haha...I have read that Robben uses a Strymon Timeline delay. I found a setting that sounds similar (?) its the "Slapback Funk" here: on Strymons site (dang won't let me post the link...)

Maybe I will have to try to insert the Strymon as a hardware send in my Audio interface and see what it sounds like....

First question I have for you, are you using a wah pedal?

No I am not. I am more interested in how he is getting that space between the speakers. Not sure if the wah is necessary for that?

No I am not. I am more interested in how he is getting that space between the speakers. Not sure if the wah is necessary for that?

Well, it may be how that happens in the way you are hearing it. The modulation of the signal with added delay creates a wider stereo image as a wah is a phase altering effect. If you pan it, then it creates a wider image when panned because of that wah effect.

Again, mess around with effects. It may not be the one he used, but you may find something that works for you.

Think I am getting close...

I tried using the timeline with a touch of verb...getting there (see attached mp3) Sorry for the sloppy play...just a one take demo :guitar:

Attachments

• RobbenFordDemo.mp3
    1 MB · Views: 12
Back