How do you set up a flat eq on the masterbus for mixing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownbearTLE

Studio monitors are suppose to have a flat eq range, yet with the room coming into play this is not the case

I've read somewhere that you can play a pink noise then capture it with an omnidirectional microphone, put a spectral analyzer on the recorded noise then eq from there (eq out the mic then the room). But I don't own an omnidirecional microphone, and i'm only looking to compensate for the sweet spot.

Also, any tips on doing this technique to a pair of beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm headphones?

Your time would probably be better spent buying some cheapish raw materials and making some room treatment with it.

You CAN NOT "EQ a room into accuracy" -- Period. A room is as good as it is. You need to fix *the room* -- I won't even go into the whole "headphones" thing...

I've read somewhere that you can play a pink noise then capture it with an omnidirectional microphone, put a spectral analyzer on the recorded noise then eq from there (eq out the mic then the room).

You already got the right answer, and this article explains the theory why EQ cannot correct a room's response:

Audyssey Report

--Ethan

Setting up an EQ to correct your room is a great idea if you plan on never playing the mix outside of your room.

i was just looking for a temporary fix (i'm redoing the studio control room), but i'm pretty much sold on not doing this.
The headphone thing was really just to compensate for the extreme low end of the beyerdynamics btw.

hmmm i guess i'll ask another question if i could use this to "impress" clients that sit out of the sweet spot during tracking.

i was just looking for a temporary fix (i'm redoing the studio control room), but i'm pretty much sold on not doing this.
The headphone thing was really just to compensate for the extreme low end of the beyerdynamics btw.

hmmm i guess i'll ask another question if i could use this to "impress" clients that sit out of the sweet spot during tracking.

That's a better idea. That way, by the time they leave and realize that your mixes are crap, you already got their money.

That's a better idea. That way, by the time they leave and realize that your mixes are crap, you already got their money.

Yeah. It's a totally awesome idea. Assuming you only want your days of making money from recording people to be very short lived. While conning people into accepting mixes that sound completely different is hilarious, it's also the sort of thing that spreads by word of mouth and would result in you getting a poor reputation and eventually no clients.

Bur really, why are we talking about clients? No offence to you, we were all beginners once, and these are the sort of questions we all pondered at some point early on, but you shouldn't really be entertaining the idea of making a buck out of this stuff if your asking these sorts of questions. Hell, I've been recording for years and still I wouldn't consider recording someone else for money. For fun, sure. For money...couldn't do it.

Go here.. hunecke.de | Room Eigenmodes Calculator and plug in your room (or just use the default', doesn't matter) Click on the various room frequency hump divisions it generates, you'll soon see the situation quickly becomes a matter of chasing your tail.
How would you 'fix this? And for where exactlly in the room? You can scoot over', (back' what ever) and get a completly different response.

Yeah. It's a totally awesome idea. Assuming you only want your days of making money from recording people to be very short lived. While conning people into accepting mixes that sound completely different is hilarious, it's also the sort of thing that spreads by word of mouth and would result in you getting a poor reputation and eventually no clients.

Bur really, why are we talking about clients? No offence to you, we were all beginners once, and these are the sort of questions we all pondered at some point early on, but you shouldn't really be entertaining the idea of making a buck out of this stuff if your asking these sorts of questions. Hell, I've been recording for years and still I wouldn't consider recording someone else for money. For fun, sure. For money...couldn't do it.

Hell yeah. This is part of my constant rants about the ease of home recording. It's too easy to get some gear and record. Any fool can buy an interface and a few mics and start charging people. That's asinine.

I record my friends all of the time for free, and i love doing this so i'm not in it for the money (a song really costs maybe 30 and a pack of smokes)

Hell yeah. This is part of my constant rants about the ease of home recording. It's too easy to get some gear and record. Any fool can buy an interface and a few mics and start charging people. That's asinine.

and sorry i've been recording for awhile and have gotten some really good mixes.

I'm not judging any of you, so don't do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back