How do you avoid noise where you paste tracks

ido1957

9K Gold Member
When I cut and paste one clip over another (replace all) I get a small click or snap where the clip either starts or ends (or both) Sometimes I get none though - like vocal clips where there's silence on either end. Tracks that have consistent volume seem to be the worst (like bass).
Can't seem to automate the noise either.
Explanation? Solutions?

1) Choose natural breaks when you want to cut.
2) Cross-fade. That's where you allow the tracks to overlap and you see a big X.
You can also fade the tracks out and in at this point manualy, so as to make the transition smoother.
3) This works well with vocals... Leave a clean break between the two parts. Fade the first part out. Now go to the next part and fade it in. The general rule (I've been told) is fade out slowly, fade in quickly.
These are general tips but fiddle around with it and see what works.
You can always undo but if you do lose track of things, close your project without saving your changes. Then open it up and start again.

If possible, always make sure you cut your tracks at zero crossing points. You get the clicks due to sharp jumps in the waveform where you cut/paste audio regions. Sometimes zooming in, and nudging stuff a couple of samples back or forward can help as well.

Jim already gave the other suggestions I was going to mention.

whenever I have audio clips, I always fade in and out the ends, to remove clicks and other unwanted noise as a result.

Well it happens because there is an abrupt change in waveform volumes where you are cutting them and putting them together so cutting them at zero crossing points (Zooming in real hard and cutting were the wave is at zero, already suggested) and then putting them together would avoid the abrupt change in volume that causes the speaker to jump resulting in the click. The easier faster way that was already suggested by Jim was using crossfades.
Also never forget to fade the beginning and end of every take because even though there is silence microphones always have noise, some a lot more than others (Some virtually unnoticeable) and noise can also be caused by a very large variety of things and when the end of the take is reach there will be a click if the noise is enough to cause a significant change in amplitude.
Hope that clears up the reason for the clicking.

Back