How do I set up(mix) the Mixer & Drum machine before Recording?

P

PaulKarate

I have a Fostex MR-8 and I want to record a drum track with my Boss Dr. Groove 202 drum machine. Before I send the signal to the MR-8 I will use a Mixer to Eq the sound better.

1.) My question is where do I set the level on the drum machine before it goes to the mixer?

2.) on the mixer, where do I set the track level and the master level?

I guess the whole point is which one, the mixer or the drum machine should have the higher output level?

I guess I have no Idea about how to set this all up before the signal gets to the MR-8.

Please Help

Thanks,
Paul Karate

ur dr groove should have the highest level. how loud u make it depends on ur recorder's meter. make the signal as loud as u can get it without clipping. play the track on the dr 202. with the mixer's output vol at unity, turn the dr 202's vol up while making sure it is not clipping ur recorder. if u turn it all the way up and it's still not a strong enough level start turning up ur mixers output volume.

Yo Karate Kid:

Your Boss drum machine should have good sounds on it, good fidelity; I have the Boss 770 and love it.

You can do a couple of things:

1. Listen to the drum signal through your monitors while setting up the volume. Listening through the cans is all right too. After a while, you'll get to know the sounds.

2. Add EQ if you need it to the drum track when you're ready to mix it down. A little high EQ will make the cymbals more brilliant. I never really add much eq to the drums. Depending on your style of music, you want the drums there and vibrant but don't let them overwhelm your vocal or a instrument solo.

So turn up your volume on the drum box and send the signal directly to your recorder and set the fader at the normal volume point and see what you get.

Green Hornet

:p :D :cool:

Back