how do I remove this noise

cordura21

hi guys. I am enhancing a live recording, and there is this noise all over the whole hour of recording.

The noise is the typical guitar buzz, a bad grounding or something. The ones that goes away by just touching the guitar's plug.

The whole recording is very low in level, and it peaks at -17db.
I am attaching a picture of it.

How can I get rid of this?

Cheers, Andrés

Attachments

• noise.gif
    noise.gif
    32.6 KB · Views: 91
CoolEditPro and Protools have pretty good hiss and noise removal. There can be artifacts if you use too much of it but if the buzz is ruining the sound then I would try it out.

If it is ground hum then use a parametric EQ and totaly remove the frequensy. This called a hum notch. If you are in argetina I dont know if your hum is at 60 hz like in the states or 50 hz like in Europe. Test, you will hear the dif clearly...

I don't think is humm

cause I start hearing it in the mid-upper part of the spectrum.

If I have to describe it, it is the sound that a lousy grounded guitar makes, you know the kind that dissappears when you touch the bridge or the strings.

It's more like a buzzz.

If there is a place with just this buzz, then look at it w/ a spectrum analyzer to see which frequencies it is in. If you don't have or cannot get a spectrum analyzer, then maybe just keep cutting grequency ranges until you find it. Hopefully cutting this frequency with a parametric eq will not effect the sound of the other instuments too terribly.

Hope this helps

Matty

If you have a Parametric EQ...

Set the frequency of one band outside the range where you think the sound is...

...set the Q (bandwidth) to a narrow setting - maybe 5 or so...

...pull the gain all the way down and sweep the "V" cut back and forth until you hear the least amount of that sound.

...adjust the Q and cut in gain to remove the most possible noise without interfering with the music.

If you need a good PM EQ you can download a 14 day demo at

www.sonictimeworks.com

Place it in graphic mode and sweep away...

zip >>

The Sonic Foundry noise reduction plug-in works great if the noise is constant. You just "play" a sample of the noise to the plug-in. It "memorizes" it and then removes that noise from the entire track. Obviously, because of how it works, this plug is not usefull for removing intermittent noise (train going by, heater kicking in, etc.)

Also, if the noise goes away when you touch the cord or the strings the wire grounding the bridge of your guitar to the electronics probably has a problem. I'd probably check it or have it checked.

thanks for all the tips. I am going to post a sample of the noise tonight so you can hear it.
From what I see it seems to have lots of harmonics in a lot of the higher octaves. You can see in the chart I post that there seems to be a pattern, but it's not perfect, like in fixed frequencies
attachment.php

Unfortunately I don't have Foundry cause I am working on Protools LE on a mac.

cheers, Andrés

Back