How do I mix like John Leckie?

STAROWEN

I've had The Stone Roses' debut on repeat for the past year and I can't work out for the life of me how John Leckie produced, mixed, and mastered it. I'm wondering if there's any particular things that stand out to anyone with the recording or mixing that would help me achieve the sound that they got.

Disclaimer: This is just from one listen to "I Wanna Be Adored"

Well, for one thing, he was generous with the reverb on the drum bus and vocals; however, he did it in a way (probably with a pre-delay) that didn't shove them to the back like a straight up reverb might do. The bass guitar sounds clean as a whistle -- he really sculpted the sound, and it sounds like he avoided being bottom heavy with the bass -- thus avoiding conflicts with the kick. Regarding the guitar, it sounds like the effects were incorporated during the recording rather than mixing.

I hope this helps! Even if ever so slightly...

Disclaimer: This is just from one listen to "I Wanna Be Adored"

Well, for one thing, he was generous with the reverb on the drum bus and vocals; however, he did it in a way (probably with a pre-delay) that didn't shove them to the back like a straight up reverb might do. The bass guitar sounds clean as a whistle -- he really sculpted the sound, and it sounds like he avoided being bottom heavy with the bass -- thus avoiding conflicts with the kick. Regarding the guitar, it sounds like the effects were incorporated during the recording rather than mixing.

I hope this helps! Even if ever so slightly...

Thanks so much! Are you a Roses fan? If so, do you have any thoughts about 'She Bangs the Drums?', the vibe is really what I'm going for more, although I imagine it is relatively the same.

You're quite welcome -- always happy to help. I wasn't necessarily a big fan, but I'm not opposed to their music -- good music is good music as far as I'm concerned.

I'm always wanting to learn and improve, so I'll take a few good listens to the song and get back to you with some notes in the next day or two if that's ok. Sounds like a fun little break from mixing all day!

I've had The Stone Roses' debut on repeat for the past year and I can't work out for the life of me how John Leckie produced, mixed, and mastered it
That's a good thing. John would probably advise you to plough your own furrow {with a little judicious advice here and there}.

Back