How Do I Improve This Recording? (please feel free to comment)

Chazamatazz

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can be more creative with this mix? How can I bring the midi alive more, create dimension panning-wise, what should I leave or take away, and when do I know when to stop.

Attachments

• We Make The Rules.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 100
  • We Make The Rules 2.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Welcome to the forums. You should post in the MP3 Clinic section, and listen to and comment on others' mixes too. I listened quickly to the mix with computer speakers, it does not sound bad at all. The vocal seems a little too 'up front' to me. Have you put a little compression on the master to bring everything together more?

I liked the overall mix. It comes off very nicely. I also agree that the vocal is just a tad too up front.....but that's only my taste. Since the song seems to be casting a sort of wistful feeling.....I do think you could add some treble exciter to give it some shimmer. Not much needed at all.....just enough to bring up the "shimmer".......maybe in the 7-10k range or higher. As for your vocal.......a teeny bit of volume automation might level off some spots where the vocal moves "up front" too much. All in all........these are really minor adjustments and you could certainly leave it just as it is if you wanted to. Thanks for the listen.....and allowing me to put n my 2 cents worth.

I too liked it - the mix works for me, but the BVs in the chorus are out of tune - but it actually sounds like they're singing a different note to the main vocal? The first once in a lifeTIME - the time leaps out at me. No idea which instruments you mean when you say 'MIDI' as we don't know what was actually making the sounds?

Last edited:
I made the following changes:
Tuned vocals
Brightened up the lead vocal
Lowered lead and backgrounds
Gain rided lead vocal
Compressed the Master bus
Thanks so much guys for your help, I like the changes.

Last edited:
nice track...very chill.

I listened on ear buds and my KRK Rokit6.

Vocals sound a little too far in front like others have said and maybe some side eq to boost the hi-end to add some 'shimmer', but other than that it's really nicely balanced and tight sounding.

Back