How do I get this kick tone?

inmyheartx

Listen to the song "Turncoat Revolution" on this bands myspace page..

http://myspace.com/hotcross

I was curious how they got they kick sound? I've been trying to get that sound for a while. Now, i've tried tuning the kick and record it with different mics and I can't seem to get it. I've tried Drumagog but I can't find a sample that sounds like that. What kind of EQ is applied to this? Compression? Etc.

I fucking love kick tones like that, but I can't ever get that. If anyone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated. =] Thank you.

inmyheartx said:
Well I have Drumagog but I can't find a sample that sounds like that / near that.

That kick is pretty "normal" sounding. Really nothing special, and should be easily obtainable with even the stock gogs.

I agree, I'm more diggin' the guitar sound. The player is moving some pretty weird riffs.

kick

d112 or beta 3 inches away from the inside head, 4 to 1 ratio on compressor fast attack and slightly fast release 0 db on out(compressor tracking only) mixdown only use limiters preferably l2 or something better. eq if 22 inch bass drum (standerd) cut everthing below 33hz and start at 58hz +2 to +4,120hz +2 to +4,250hz +2 nomore,500hz cut -4 to -5, around 1500 to 2000 start bringing in your thud and attack on the drum.
most important! your effect chain (and some poeple would dis-agree with me)should go= gate, eq, limiter. keep it small, because you don't want to mask it too much. There might be another way to do this, but this is how I get it. good luck!

NL5 said:
That kick is pretty "normal" sounding. Really nothing special, and should be easily obtainable with even the stock gogs.

I can't seem to find one.. :/

I've use a D112 and a Beta 52, but I think the problem with doing it like this is that the drummer is using plastic beaters, and they are lame. I couldn't accomplish it while tracking so i'm trying to find a gog that sounds like it.

First of all, this kick sound has become your standard rock kick. Scooped out mids, not a lot of bass, some high end boost, moderate amounts of compression/transient maximization...Here's a link to a post on this forum, you can read there and get some NICE samples that will do exactly what you want. I hate a lot of the default gogs too.

The Blue Room's drum samples

You can download gogs ( you need the newest version of drumagog) or just samples.

I hope this helps.

Also, for future reference dude, if you like that kind of kick sound, the Audix D6 will deliver with hardly ANY EQ. It's not as versatile as the D112 or the Beta52, but if you're looking for that defined, clicky kick sound, the D6 is where it's at. Those kick samples I linked you were recorded with a D6 (I believe)

I find it really odd that everyone suggests a certain mic to get "that sound", when the mic has SO LITTLE to do with it. Drum tuning, beater type, mic position, and THE DRUMMER have WAY WAY WAY more to do with "the sound".

they might have "keyed" a sine wave with it. Also don't ignore the high frequencies in the kick for that snap. That's a nice sounding kick recording tho! You could try replacing the kick sound as well. Logic's Ultrabeat has a pretty good kick that sounds a littl elike this if you compress the crap out of it and add some high frequency gain around 2 and a bit k. I can try to dig up the same for you if you want. I used it on some brutal death metal, and it slams pretty hard. Give me your email address and I'll email a wav of it to you.

NL5 said:
I find it really odd that everyone suggests a certain mic to get "that sound", when the mic has SO LITTLE to do with it. Drum tuning, beater type, mic position, and THE DRUMMER have WAY WAY WAY more to do with "the sound".

damn straght. The mic matters so much less, although I am a little bit partial to the kick drum mic that seinheiser makes (at least for my setup, the d112 doesn't compare). The kick head has to do with it as well. There's a really nice one made by Evans that has a damper ring of foam around the edges, that mixed with hard plastic beaters and slamming your whole leg into the pedal sounds really good...those little pads you get for the beaters to hit actually add to the aggressive sound as well as save your kick head longer. Before I used those, I would go through kick heads once in a while. It happened one time right in the middle of a big show! EEP! Luckily one of the other bands playing saw it right away and was nice enough to scramble to grab his kick drum (I have a rack) and throw it down there for me. Needles to say, I grabbed one of those really quickly afterward, and was really suprised that it actually helped the sound to be more agressive.

Plastic beaters for heavy rock and wooden beater for heavy metal.
Cotton beater for Indie and rock and pop.

Eck

Yup and don't for get the fender washer stuck to the batter head trick. That really helps to get the clicky sound in there too.

punkin said:
Yup and don't for get the fender washer stuck to the batter head trick. That really helps to get the clicky sound in there too.
If you want to fek your kick skin yea!
A wooden or plastic beater will give plenty of click if tuned/played/mixed well.

Eck

I agree, tuning and playing is more important than the mic...But you still want to use mics based on what kind of (if any) quality they impart onto the recording. The room is important too, 'cause even close miced, you're going to have cancelation of some frequencies...A kick in a treated room is much more solid. Then there's the playing...I know some guys who play heel up and absolutely punish their kick drums, they get no tone at all, it's all impact. But then there are guys who get a balance, and that may not be right for all types of music. It's just like a guitarist switching pickups or using EQ. ALL these things matter and there's no way to write any one off.

mrhotapples said:
I agree, tuning and playing is more important than the mic...But you still want to use mics based on what kind of (if any) quality they impart onto the recording. The room is important too, 'cause even close miced, you're going to have cancelation of some frequencies...A kick in a treated room is much more solid. Then there's the playing...I know some guys who play heel up and absolutely punish their kick drums, they get no tone at all, it's all impact. But then there are guys who get a balance, and that may not be right for all types of music. It's just like a guitarist switching pickups or using EQ. ALL these things matter and there's no way to write any one off.

It depends on the kick head, different ones are designed for different things. Some are designed to give more tone softer, and some are designed for hard hitting playing. I am definately one of the people who punishes my kick drum, but because of the kick drum head I use, and the way I have it tuned, it has plenty of great tone, as well as a lethal smack. Really, the same with all drum heads...some are better for hard hitting and some not so much. I find Evans heads are great for the kick drum (the one with the damper ring... excellent) I like Evans on the snare, with the power dot, WHAAAM! Aquarian heads sound fantastic on toms (evans tom heads aren't as good for what I like to hear in a tom)

Back