How can i adjust volume levels when mixing a song?

Guitars should be on full. Doesn't matter about clipping, we can just compress and limit that shit!

I just want to find out the volume levels that one should adjust when mixing a song.

Well, that questions makes no sense really. From the thread title I thought you would be suggesting that you didn't know where the volume level controls were. Is that what you're after?

Ditto....

I usually bring up tracks that are too quiet and turn down tracks that are too loud...some tracks I don't touch.

:)

No i'm asking about the levels of each of the drum kick, the bass guitar, the rythm guitar the lead vocal and the harmony vocals in respect to each other.

No i'm asking about the levels of each of the drum kick, the bass guitar, the rythm guitar the lead vocal and the harmony vocals in respect to each other.

We understand what you are asking...but the reason for so many vague responses is because the question has no specific answer.
You adjust levels between tracks with respect to each other based on how you want the mix to sound....it's your decision.
There is no formula that says the drums should be XXX here and the guitars XXX here and the vocals XXX here....etc.

It's all about what YOU want from the mix. About the only semi-specific answer would be to say that in "most" cases, your lead vocals and/or lead instruments would be on top of the mix - aka louder - but how much is still up to you.

You need need to listen to your mix...it's telling you what to do....just listen closely. :)

Can't be answered like that. Track levels you'd want within a mix depend on their recorded volumes. (add.. hell recorded volumes for one! not to mention.. which mix? It's not like they're ever going to be the same ...I hope ;)

Bring all the tracks up on the faders, say mid point or below, master fader at zero, and start adjusting them to the loudness balance you like. Once you get that roughed in if you're over in the red on the master pull them all down so you're say six to ten db below max on the master, then fine tune your mix.
Start there.

Last edited:
Here's something basic to maybe get you started...

Turn everything down to silent. Decide what is the most important part of your song. For the majority it's the vocals...bring those up to a decent level. Then bring the bass up and see how it jives with the vocals. Build everything else around that.

There really is no one answer. As a few people said before, It's very determinative as to your own mix. Your going to have to figure out how to get the song to basically mesh and mold together.

I use a reference song for when ever I mix. Just to know that my levels are near from a reference to another song. If the vocals in the reference are at one point, I'll match that volume and then work from there (that way I know what a finished song will sound like at the volume I have my monitors). It'll drop below your reference most likely, but any slight volume concerns can helped out in the mastering process. It's better to have a quieter tight mix than to have a loud sloppy one.

I turn each track up to just under clipping then put a compressor on the master buss set at -28 threshold, 28:1 and everything will squash together and fall into place. :p

However, you should know that my mixes suck. :D:D:D

I turn each track up to just under clipping then put a compressor on the master buss set at -28 threshold, 28:1 and everything will squash together and fall into place. :p

However, you should know that my mixes suck. :D:D:D
..and that we're sorta' back to kidding around here :D

Back