How to...??

DDev

Since this is the "Mixing" forum, I'll try this question here.

I just recently purchased my first outboard fx processor and a compressor, and am trying to figure out how to route them with my mixer's I/O.

My mixer is an older Yamaha 24 channel board (MX400) that has 5 Aux sends but no returns. There are individual channel inserts, stereo bus inserts, group inserts (4 sub groups), and group inputs. I'm currently using channels 1-16 for audio input from my ADATs. My fx processor can be split to use the separate inputs as individual processors, and this is how I intend to use it for now.

I think I've seen somewhere that people use open mixer channels for this, but for the life of me I can't find any descriptive diagrams that show how to do this properly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Darryl.....

Connect two Aux send outputs from board into the two inputs on effects box. Then connect the two outputs on the box to two unused line inputs on two channels of your mixing board (e.g. 17 & 18). Adjust gain structure (all the different volumes at each stage) so there is no clipping in any part of the signal chain. Voila!

Thanks, folks. That's exactly what I was hoping to find. I really do need to learn how to do fruitful searches (I never seem to find what I know has to be out there somewhere).

Now to go try it out.

Darryl.....

Back