High pass and low pass filters in DAW

Pianopotter

Hey, I recently started working with StudioOne DAW and I have some questions that need to be answered. I am not quite sure how to add a high pass or low pass filter onto a track. I add a parametric equalizer and everything works fine but I was wondering if the filter is an extra thing entirely or is it included with the EQ? If so, how do I set whether to boost or cut the signal above or below the desired point. Also, when double recording guitar do I need a Y-cable to split the input signal going into the preamp? or is there a way to do it with just a standard 1/4''? If anyone could answer it would be greatly appreciated. =)

Also, when double recording guitar do I need a Y-cable to split the input signal going into the preamp? or is there a way to do it with just a standard 1/4''? If anyone could answer it would be greatly appreciated. =)

What do you mean by double recording guitar? There's no good reason to record a mono source to two tracks at once. Just record to a mono track.

I am not quite sure how to add a high pass or low pass filter onto a track. I add a parametric equalizer and everything works fine but I was wondering if the filter is an extra thing entirely or is it included with the EQ?
Not all, but most software EQ's give you a choice of "bandpass", "high shelf", "low shelf", as well ass "High pass" and "low pass". You just have to select the one you want.

Also, when double recording guitar do I need a Y-cable to split the input signal going into the preamp?
Like Boulder said above, there's absolutely no reason to "double record" a guitar. You're just going to get the exact same signal in both channels, which accomplishes nothing at all. If you want to double track your guitar, the best, and in my opinion the only way to do it is to record 2 separate takes.

Like Boulder said above, there's absolutely no reason to "double record" a guitar. You're just going to get the exact same signal in both channels, which accomplishes nothing at all. If you want to double track your guitar, the best, and in my opinion the only way to do it is to record 2 separate takes.[/QUOTE]

Ok, but the problem is I don't want to do the eq's separately for each guitar track. Is there a way to record 2 separate takes and get it on the same track? That seems like the most logical way to do it. Like pan -50 and 50 or something like that idk.

Double track the guitars then send them to a bus.Put your eq on that bus.You can pan one guitar track left and the other right in the individual guitar tracks.The bus will be sent all the info of the individual tracks and play it the same way.

...or send each track to one side of a stereo track, which is really just 2 mono tracks linked.

See thats what I don't know how to do. How do you send a mono track to either side of a stereo?

MCMetal's approach will work too. I would prefer Metal's approach slightly because I think it allows more flexibility in changing the panning amounts later on if you want to.

But anyway... I use Sonar, so this is how I'd do it there. I'd initially record two takes on separate tracks. I'd pan the two tracks where I want them, then highlight them and select Edit>>Bounce to tracks from the menu. Sonar would create a new stereo track with the two recordings on either side.

But like I said, I'd leave them as separate tracks, send them to a bus, and do my EQ and other processing on the bus.

Back