HIFI amp for monitoring

Hey, no one is saying not to try it, just voicing concerns that might exclude it from us using it in a studio. By all means, give it a shot- you already have it an all- and let us know how it worked out. No, wait, don't do that- we might actually learn something new. Horrors! :D

Seriously, get back to us on it.

I'll be sure to update you. Amp should be here in a few days but I'll only have time to install it next weekend.

I can't believe you seriously haven't heard of PA amps being used in studios. Never seen a Crown, QSC or Yamaha pro amps powering passive monitors?

Just spoke with a studio owner who uses this model, says it sounds great, but he puts it in a cabinet so he doesn't even know if the fans are noisy or not. Sound should be great though.

Anyway, I'll let you know.

I don't think I said I had never heard or seen it, just that is seems like not quite the best way to go.

Didn't anybody get my little "Go NAD!" joke?:o

This is a very high quality amp. It's a very good way to go if you don't want to spend more than 200$ on one.

Not the best way by a long shot, but it's more than decent.

Hooked everything up today. The Crown is driving the speakers with authority. Fans don't come on (for now). Sound is accurate, soundstage is full, bass is tight.

Thanks everyone.

Well, old thread, but I've decided to revive it. My Crown amp's fans are driving me crazy :) It started spinning after a few days of buying the amp during a long session. Completely intolerable. I'm going to sell it for a profit though.

Got my eyes on an old Yamaha M2 in mint condition (similar to the PC2002 and P2201, but for the "domestic" market).

Your feelings about this amp? I think I can find the "Pro" equivalent Yammies for around the same money but it might take some time. The M2 is highly regarded, 240wpc, built well. Opinions on this as a studio amp?

Barring some really cheap pieces of rubbish, there is no difference in sound quality between a decent hifi amp and a "professional" amp. Indeed, many hifi offerings are designed to be better in terms of things like THD and so on.

However, where there CAN be a difference is build quality. Truly professional gear is designed to pump out its maximum rated power in a hot equipment rack for 12 hours a day without breaking into a sweat. Few hifi products can claim that. However, as few home studios need that level of reliability!

One thing I'm surprised nobody has said: regarding the +4dBu vs -10dBV issue, it's not much of an issue. Don't forget that the "Volume" control on a hifi amp is an input attenuatior. As soon as this is turned down a bit, you're adjusting the input level to way less than nominal anyway.

(I guess that's another difference--professional amps are often operated with their front panel knobs turned all the way up and levels controlled on the mixer or whatever. Hifi amps are rarely operated this way.)

Bob

I've heard quite decent stuff about the Emotiva amps so far...

Yes same here. The only dis' I've come across is that it's old (as in outdated/since improved upon) heavy 80's technology. But they seem to be putting a lot of quality together for a nice price.

Understood -- But those 80's technology class A circuits are still running and still sound amazing... No doubt, some of the newer 'D' stuff is very nice -- But give me giant heat-sinks and huge caps just about every time.

I couldn't be persuaded that a "pro" amp will beat a hifi amp, it's like comparing a dumper truck to a ferrari. I did have a Yamaha P2075 for a while and it did ok, you can buy a high end used hifi power amp for very little money and it will give you years of service.

Going forward with the Yamaha M2. Supposed to be one of the best amps Yamaha ever built.

When I look at the "nude" pictures of it, it makes very happy I decided to go passive with my monitoring setup. Sure Adam, Genelec, Dynaudio etc all make fantastic powered speakers, but do you really think that the quality of the amps inside the speaker enclosure can match something like this 25kg beast of a poweramp?

Still no amp. The M2 seller dropped it and now it's not working...

How about some amp recommendations? Around 250€, fanless, 200+wpc. Those old Yamaha amps are hard to come by it seems. Missed out on a cheap Carver yesterday.

Back