help w/ effects during mixdown (tascam 414)

sunday_morning

I am trying to add effects to some songs i've recorded with my tascam 414mkII. I am using a t.c. electronic m350 processor for effects. I have a send/return cable plugged into the outputs of the m350 and connected to the 7-8 stereo input of the 414 as per the instructions in my tascam manual. I cannot hear any of the effects that I have selected on the m350. i don't know what i am doing wrong here and can't find any answers in the manual. please help!
thanks.

Do you have a cable going from the M414 to the M350 (sorry , but it is not clear from your post)?

If you are connected correctly and your effects unit is setup properly to send,

I think all you should need to do (if you are sending on Effect 1 for example) is, turn up the Effect1 send pot on the 414, and engage the Effect1 button the monitor output selection. Then you should be able to hear the effects with your mix

sunday_morning said:
Thanks for your help. I'm an idiot. so ok, another question: i'm using this send return cable:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/aicons_1930_47257388
Is this the same type of cable i would use to connect the 414 to the m350?
thanks again.
Not entirely. That is what is also commonly called an "insert cable" and is designed to be used on mixers channel strips that have what is called an "insert jack." Your 414 does not have that option, and therefor you cannot use that cable alone; that is only half the story.

What you need is two cables; you'll need one single-plug cable for the "effects send" from the 414 to the TC input, and then one stereo return cable to run from the TC stereo output to the stereo in (either 5/6 or 7/8, I believe) on the 414. You have half of the equation, I believe; I think your insert cable may work for the stereo effect return side, but you'll still need a standard mono cable for the first half of the signal loop.

This is shown on page 5 of the Tascam manual. If you do not have a copy of the manual, you can get a PDF of it here.

G.

Back