Help to tame distortion on recorded guitar track

dastrick

huh???
The track was recorded at a live show. How would I tame the distortion in the recording? I pulled down the mids a little, but too much and it starts sounding really thin.

What's your method?

Thanks,
D

By distortion what exactly do you mean? If its the tone then yeah EQ would do it, same with if its a little fizzy. It depends on what about the distortion you want to tame.

Are talking about the guitar's actual played/amped distortion? If so, nothing you do is going to fix it. If you mean the recording itself is distoring (clipping), then you turn the volume down some, reduce the mids and bass, but you'll never get it sounding good.

Low pass the guitars is all I can think of. This will tame the harsh fuzzyness if you have some.

I'm talking about the guitar/amp distortion. You know...what sounds good live is usually too much in a recording.

The best thing I've found so far is bringing the low-mids down a few db. I've tried adding a little reverb, but I haven't been too happy with the results.

Just a thought, Try copying the track so you have a couple to play with. Try cutting all the gritty harsh mids out of one, low pass the other, high pass one, compress the snot out of one and mix them together panned all around. You may get lucky! At the very least, you may find the frequencies that are killing the tone and fix them with eq on one track.

Back