Help! recording Accordion with blue yeti mic.

mondopondo81

I just got the blu yeti usb mic and i recorded vocals and I like the sound I got. I am struggling with the accordion. I get like a scratchy sound. I would like to get some tips from people that may have done this before. I am a beginner as far as recording at home. I just use garageband which is limited but I think it can get the job done. I need some help as far as...

should I use a pop filter?
do i record with the cardroid setting? omni-directional? stero? or bi-directional?
how far away should I be from the mic? what level should I have on the mic?

and then what type of mixing can I use to get kind of the tucanes de tijuana sound. just youtube tucanes de tijuana, el diablo

The Yeti isn't exactly the mic I'd use for accordion (it isn't exactly the mic I'd use for vocals - But that's for another thread).

If you're in an exceptionally well-controlled room (not a room "covered with foam" - A truly well-controlled room), you might go omni. It's not a stereo mic, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. A pop filter isn't going to do anything.

You might try covering it with a few socks -- And (I hope it goes without saying), use reasonable and normal tracking levels and don't push it (more here if you're bored: Proper Audio Recording Levels | Rants, Articles -- because it still blows my mind how many people think it's a good idea to "track as hot as you can" for some odd reason, which can very easily lead to a "scratchy" recording, even from something not scratchy to begin with, like things that aren't accordions).

Certainly - A stereo recording would be ideal for accordion - But unless you have 2 Yeti's, that's not in the cards.

But I'd start by trying to make it less sensitive.

Thank you so much. I will try those things. I know I am not going to get studio quality, but I at least would like to get something decent. I'm composing songs and I'm just recording them so I can pass them on to a band.

I will look into all of the things you suggested. Cheers!

A pencil mic at about 2 feet away might be what you'd want to try. I mean hell its almost memorial day and gc's bound to be having a sale.

It's not a stereo mic, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. A pop filter isn't going to do anything.

Certainly - A stereo recording would be ideal for accordion - But unless you have 2 Yeti's, that's not in the cards.

The Yeti does have a stereo pattern.

There are three capsules inside, and the mic has omni, cardiod, figure 8 and stereo patterns.

Ah -- Still, it's not going to give a pattern for accordion. That said, a close-point stereo signal would probably be slightly more 'natural' sounding than a single-point.

I know I'm nit-picking, but I'm bored.....This thread is all about recording, not mixing which the name of this forum happens to be. :)

Back