Help with mixing. Any tutorials for beginners? Any good books?

Feanor IV

Hey there,

I'm interested in mixing a bit of my own songs and so I'd like to learn a bit about the whole thing. I'm 99% unable to mix anything at the moment, never seriously tried it, have no experience. So, are there any good tutorials online and/or good books I should check out to get me started?

*Please* mention internet sites with tutorials as well, not only books; I can buy a couple of books, but i'd like to look up various sources, and I can't spend $1000 in books :)

Moreover, any general guidelines I can follow for the beginning?

Thanks a lot! :)
Menelaos

If you ask someone nicely maybe they'll give you some raw audio to mix as practice. Spend a few months trying to mix a new song every few days and getting input from more experienced mixers will help you along--in addition to the mandatory studying.

You will have to study and crack some books (or more than some) if you want to get pro... but you seem willing to do it.

"The Mixing Engineers Handbook" by Bobby Owinski (ISBN 0-87288-723-5)
Great book if you are clueless to how to use EQ, effects and pan etc within an overall plan to strenghten the mix..
Filled with some references, hints, interviews with some of the greatest mixers of today (witch means guys that has done it for 30 years (some of them)).
I like it. I don't have any other books and I consider myself a newbie (allthough wannabie) to those great mixes. Even I can understand whats going on in that book.
And it has it's own section describing terminology.
Great for starters, but should also be a book for the more experienced imo.

Last edited:
Back