Help me settle an AUX debate on the mackie?

nbtech_2001

The Mackie vlz 1640 to be exact.. What I found: All my mics are panned to subgroup 1 which the subgroup 1 output is sent to its own channel to have a graphic EQ inserted (because there is no insert on the subgroups) If I want to send a collective "Aux send" of all my mics (EQ'D and post fader) would I 1.Turn up all the individual Aux 1 sends for each mic channel or 2. Just turn up the Aux 1 send on my dedicated EQ return channel? I'm thinking the latter!! The person who did the setup thinks the earlier!! whats up?!?

What is the aux for, an effect like a reverb?

I would use the individual channel aux sends, return the effect to a channel and route it to the same group as everything else. I would then return the group -> eq to an aux return instead of a channel.

If you want to hear the mics post eq, then you will have to turn up the aux on the returned channel, it seems to me.

If you want to hear the mics post eq, then you will have to turn up the aux on the returned channel, it seems to me.

True, but if you're sending the aux to a reverb you could return the reverb to a channel and assign it to the bus -> eq channel. Then you could have different amounts of reverb on each instrument. That's why I asked what the aux send is for, because which way is better depends on the intended use.

the aux 1 is being sent to a "Telos" hybrid phone unit designed to output caller audio back into a fader channel so i can pump the mains (speakers) with the caller audio and all my subgrouped mics can be sent via the the EQ'd return channel back to the caller...mix-minus the caller's own audio.

If a kick drum gets hit in the forest and no one is there to mic it, does it make a sound?

HAha!...well, yes and no... that kick drum creates sound pressure...even if there are no ears around to complete it as a sound, it is 50% a sound...the other 50% is made audible by your ears and brain

Back