Headphones for recording

zooeywoof

Hi all & hope all are well!! As I enter back into home recording, I'm in search of a set of headphones that I can use for extended periods of time. Having previously owned a 24trk home studio, I've been through the AKG's & the DF's, which now that I look back, weren't too weighted or uncomfortable, though things got a little hot,, but kinda accurate. So, with accuracy & comfort, in that order, what's out there to use with my 'in the mail' 24 trk digital workstation? My present living situation, though near perfect, leaves me a small window where I can do some loud 'pleasure' listening,,, So, what's the latest that won't require a 2nd mortgage.
Thanks in advance~

Neumann NDH 20

If you read that ^ you will see there is a trade off between supreme accuracy, comfort, weight and noise blocking. The comment is also made that like really accurate monitors the cans are not very 'exciting' for leisure listening.

The price is high for headphones but not nearly as high as some 'Audiophool' designs.

The probability is that you need THREE sorts of headphones! As above for searching, analytical mixing. Some comfortable everyday jobs whilst tracking and then something to get the blood up while you kick back and headbang!

BTW, don't do too much of the latter or you will bugger your hearing for mixing.

Dave.

In all the Youtube Videos the Beyer Dynamic DT 770 were highly recommended. They are very comfortable. I thought the sound was very hyped, scooped in the low mids. They sell for $150.00 I bought a pair of AKG K92's I think they sound great! very flat, very clear and cheap 59 bucks.

In all the Youtube Videos the Beyer Dynamic DT 770 were highly recommended. They are very comfortable. I thought the sound was very hyped, scooped in the low mids. They sell for $150.00 I bought a pair of AKG K92's I think they sound great! very flat, very clear and cheap 59 bucks.

I also have a pair of K92s and find them very good. They do not however provide much sound isolation.

Dave.

after having gone thru quite a few pair,
currently my favorite:

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Headphones

i really like these.

i use them for checking mixes.

not for tracking.

i have a pair of AKG 240's and a set of AT ATH m50x for tracking.
if i need super quiet no bleed headphones for tracking,
i use sennheiser ear buds.

Back