Headphones + Monitors for Mixing

rjbullock

So i've recently started using headphones (Sennheisser HD600's) plus my monitors for mixing. Monitors are JBL LSR-305's... not great, but that's where the headphones come in. I found that I can hone in on details much more quickly with the headphones, hear the actual change when I move something by less than 3db... Then I finish up listening through the monitors.

Anybody else take this approach? I've always heard mixing on headphones is a no-no but I'm finding this combo approach gets me there much faster.

Whatever works for you, really. Lots of ppl mix only on hp's, but there's a reason you won't see any pro's putting out commercial records on them. I used headphones for the first 2 years I mixed my own music, and I think I got pretty good with them, but they only got me to a certain point. The stereo field is really skewed and unreliable in them, as are most tonal decisions. You need the more accurate representation of your sounds to make solid judgments there, though, like I already said, lots of ppl make songs without that element and seem to do okay.

Personally, I use my headphones (hd280) for tracking, fine details, and as an overall check maybe twice a session. I won't EQ or compress anything through them, unless there's something specific I'm examining.

Headphones have their place in the studio...mostly for tracking, but also for when you need to listen more critically for some issues, etc.

AFA the whole "honing in on details"...I know what you, mean, and good monitors will actually let you do that more "naturally" then phones, but generally speaking, I think people these days spend way too much time (myself included) "honing in on details".
We do that because we feel it's going to make a lot of difference...because where tweaking things at the sub-molecular level, it will somehow bubble up and make the overall all mix that much more obviously better.

TBH...I think it actually may detract...and the notion of mixing more for total emotion and impact, and "pulling back" so you get the "big picture" as you mix, actually may be the better way to go.
I mean, it's nice that we can micro-tweak the shit out of everything *when it's really needed* but it may not be as much as people do it these days....or worry so much about the numbers, etc.

IOW...mix to elicit obvious feelings (good or bad) rather than mixing to create something that is sonically "perfect" ...but boring to listen to.
It's hard...because we're always fighting concerns about audio quality, especially at the home rec level where many of us are working with a lot of limitations, and then in doing so, the quest for sonic perfection can actually make us lose sight of the stuff that releases the emotions. Not saying every songs has to or will cause us to feel something deep...but I think that's really what ends up making the difference in how much a song connects...and again, it doesn't always have to be a song we absolutely love...it can be one we don't much like, but it draws out the deeper emotions in us.

OK...I kinda drifted off there a bit... :D ...so yeah, if you need to use some headphones go for it, but I think most people with good monitors, in a good space, and without any restrictions to use them (neighbors and such) are not going to spend a lot of time with headphones and then shift to the monitors at the end, because the whole image thing will be different...especially when you get use to it on the phones.

pop a crossfeed plugin on your DAW 2 bus.... it makes sense.

my current theory is the tones is all in the tracking and mixing and mastering should be much easier than we make it.
the difficulty is because the tracking isnt optimized.
not easy to track your tones when you record yourself and have on closed back headphones giving a false sound.

mixing some of the pro tracks already done shows how its less work, less lipstick on the pig needed.

headphones, monitors, car deck, earbuds, laptop speakers....doesnt Clearmountain use some pc speakers these days to check things out on? little plastic apple speakers...but that was probably 12yrs ago! yikes.

my current theory is the tones is all in the tracking and mixing and mastering should be much easier than we make it.
the difficulty is because the tracking isnt optimized.
not easy to track your tones when you record yourself and have on closed back headphones giving a false sound.

I found it was much easier to dial in my guitar tones once I ditched setting them up through headphones. If they sounded pleasant on monitors, they're probably going to sound good in the car.

The OP is just saying that he uses monitors mainly.......and checks details with cans. He’s not saying that he makes major decisions via the cans.....so that’s good. Oddly enough........I too use JBL-305s and HD-600s. I think it’s a great set up. Not perfect........ as both the JBLs and the Senns have an issue or two.......but with familiarity......that set up will work fine as is. I think the need for great cans is increased because lots of people do not or cannot use room treatment.........and some reflections are very tricky to pick out of a mix. Headphones make getting the recording set up right a little easier IMO.

By the way.........the HD600s really do translate extremely well.

I found it was much easier to dial in my guitar tones once I ditched setting them up through headphones. If they sounded pleasant on monitors, they're probably going to sound good in the car.

interesting because I find the same thing...
closed back muffled boom boost headphones are horrible for setting tones on anything.
for years that was a huge mistake, I say now in hindsight...I just never knew, never crossed my mind the tracking was crap...aha...i was a goober with no training and no internet help.
shooting in the dark and turning eq knobs and getting horrid playbacks!! wow :confused:

its such a tried and true and beaten path on how to do it, but if you dont know you dont know.

Back