Headphones!!!!?????

Cooperman

I'm gonna do the unthinkable and mix using headphones - I'll double check mixes in the car and on a home stereo tho - I can't afford my 20/20's just yet :)

Anyway, can anyone recommend a good set of headphones to do this. I've read in other posts that AKG K240's are excellent, however my local music store doesn't stock any - I'll have to order them in. I don't like the idea of buying them without trying them first but if the general consensus on here is that they are good headphones for this purpose, then I'll trust everyone's opinion and order them... I trust the opinions of everyone on here more than any salesman. The K240's are at about the limit of my budget so any other suggestions have to be the same price or lower.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I agree with the above post 200 percent!

Before I bought my Sony MDR 7506's, I listened to 15 different sets of headphones (one after another) and played the same 3 songs for each set in order to get a fair comparison. After my "Consumer Reports" style testing, there was none better than the 7506's... period.
I listened to all the best Sennheisers, AKG's, JVC's, etc. The Sony's blew them all away. You'll hear every tiny little nuance of sound with these headphones.
Since then, I've been able to mix with much better accuracy and it takes half the time to get it right. The 7506's are the way to go.

Yo Cooperman:

How are the "Roos" down under? Still hopping?

Before you buy a good set of headphones, listen to the Beyer 250's. About 131 US dollars and just a great sound field. Also, they are comfortable and since you will be using them to mix, you'll like the quality construction. I've used AKG and I have some Sony phones hanging in the studio but I have two sets of the 250's in active use: one for me and the other for any vocal client or other recording friend.

If you see Steve Erwin, tell him to stay away from those Croc teeth.

Green Hornet

Mmm, now this has opened up a can of worms, but I guess everyone has there own personal choices and prefences. I guess it wasn't unexpected that there wasn't a single unanimous response. Perhaps I'll have to do a little more research on the subject first or try and get the music store to order the above mentioned headphones in for trying before buying.

Ohh and Green Hornet the "Roos" are indeed still hoping - I can see them jumping about outside at this very moment... and I'm not shitting you either, there really are kangaroos jumping around just on the other side of my back fence.

Sennheiser has a new one out HD200. I got it for half price because of a nationwide promotion here and it serves me so well with details I've never heard with my old Sony headphones (not the MDR-7506)

I have 4 sets of AKG K 240s for the musicians in the studio only. But for me in the control room, I need the Sony MDR-7506s for critical checking.

Cooperman,

I am also from Australia, could you possibly let me know what kind of setup you are using, where you're based etc?

I've been looking at the AKG K 501, but from what ive seen just now, it'd be worth looking at the sony MDR 7506 headphones.

If saving money is the main priority (im not some huge guru wanting to spend 1/4 of a million on some studio.. ) is there much quality loss going for the cheaper headphones rather than monitors/powered monitors? in the long run what would be the best value for money option?

Thanks,
Bill

(brisbane/kangaroos/crocs.. hmm)

don't you love it how the country is only recognised for savage garden and roos and crocs?

Hey Musicfest...

From what many of the very knowledgable guys on here say, yes there is gonna be a difference between mixing with headphones and near-field monitors. It's gonna be a while before I can afford a pair of 20/20's - unpowered 20/20's cost about AUS$1000 so I'm gonna have to go the headphone route for now. The headphones won't be as accurate as monitors but I am hoping by listening to my mixes in various places eg car, home stereo... I'll be able to learn what I need the mix to sound like in the headphones to make it sound acceptable on other systems.

In the long run, buying a pair of monitors is the best way to go, but as I am extremely impatient, I wanna get cracking on recording some tracks soon so the headphones will just have to do for now.

noone mentioned fostex t-20's? i bought a pair as they seemed to be in every pro studio i track for. i dig the replacable cable too. i've used the sony's in other studios too and just always think their overrated. just my 0.02 :-)

tony

For $20 (on sale) you can get a pair of AKG K44s from Musicians Friend. They are low-end but they sure beat the hell out of the 3 pair I already had that came with boombox stereos and walkmans.

And for that price, you could drop $100 and get a pair for the whole band....

Plus...the cord comes only out of the left side. Why aren't all phones made like that?

Any Canadian users of the forum been able to find the Sony 7506 headphones??? THey don't seem to carry then at any music stores I've been at .. and sony canada's web site doesn't list them.. the model numbers are all different .

I ALSO USE SONY'S. I RECENTLY GOT INTO WORKING WITH MY HEADPHONES DUE TO THE FACT I LIKE TO WORK LATE INTO THE NIGHT. I HAVE GOTTEN VERY USED TO IT AND WHEN I COMPARE WHAT I DID IN MY HEADPHONES THE EVENING BEFORE TO MY STUDIO MONITORS IN THE MORNING, I REALLY DONT FIND MYSELF CHANGING MUCH IF ANYTHING. I HAVENT MIXED DOWN ANYTHING USING JUST MY SONYS YET, BUT I AM REALLY CONFIDENT THAT IF I HAD TO IT WOULDNT BE A PROBLEM.......GOOD LUCK

Ok, after a couple of weeks deliberating and researching I thing 7506's are the way to go. I'll be getting them next week!!!

Cellarcat... I had a bit of trouble finding them. All the regular musical instrument shops didn't stock them, but here we have an actual Sony shop selling only Sony products so I'll be getting mine from there. I would of thought stores that sell top quality home stereo equipment should be able to get them for you.

Hey,
I've got the Fostex T-20's, and they rule. Extreamely clear, and very precise. I've seen the in several studios as well, so I'd say they're a great pick! Good Luck!

***Justin***

Back