Having a heck of a time deleting silence in vocals without clicks!

Jessica_X

So frustrated...
Logic X.
I've tried using the scissors tool, and the strip silence function, and the marquee tool. I've tried using fade-in/fade-out in the inspector. It seems no matter what I do, there are always clicks here and there at the end of the region, and they are hard to get rid of. What is the best practice for getting rid of the silent part of the vocals and avoiding clicks?
Thanks for any help.

Hi,
If you've added fades to the starts and ends of the regions then you shouldn't be getting any clicks.

Have you soloed the track in question just to be sure the clicks aren't coming from another track?

What is the best practice for getting rid of the silent part of the vocals and avoiding clicks?

Honestly...and as it has been said.....simple fades in/out is all that is needed.
There shouldn't be any clicks if they properly applied.
None.

There must be something more happening....but of course, hard to say what without hearing samples, and seeing what you are doing when you make the edits.

I think that it may be that my fade is set to too small of a parameter. I watched a Youtube tutorial where the guy set it to 50 (milliseconds?) I changed it to 300 and that MAY have fixed my problem. It will take a while until I know for sure. Thank you for the responses!

Well....longer fades will make the audio in/out smoother....but if you take a piece of audio, and the fades begin/end with the beginning/ending of that piece of audio....the fades can be very short, and still not have any clicks/pops.
IOW...the audio is then starts fading in from "0" and ends fading out on "0"....so there's nothing there to cause a click, even if you make the fades short.

Now, if you fade in/out, but the rest of the audio on the track (before or after the section you are editing), has been abruptly cut by the fade....then that could cause clicks/pops...so it's not really the piece you are editing but the stuff before after.
In those cases you need to do "crossfades" "X" between them...that way all the audio pieces are fading in/out, and not just the one piece you are editing.

Like I said....there's a few ways to cut up audio on tracks, so how/where you are doing it may be the cause, and not really the fades or the length of the fades.

Thanks miroslav.
Now I think it doesn't have to do with the fades after all, it was a click on my track probably introduced by some previous wacky method of editing. I just cut out the very last part of the track, and put in a 50 millisecond fade and it's fine now I think.
Now on to find the next mind-boggling problem. Fun hobby.

Make your cuts at zero crossing points(zoom in and see where the sound wave reaches zero amplitude) and apply fade in/outs where necessary. It might be easier to simply automate the volume as an alternative.

Hi,

Did you do any comping? There is a 'standard crossfade time' value to enter in pref./audio/general - make sure you have it on about 10-20 ms. If set to 0 there may be clicks/pops when doing comps. (standard value is 20 ms, works fine)

/MelkerMusic

This is good to know, I have been using 50 because of the clicks (which turned out to be unrelated to crossfade time) so I will go back to using 20. Thanks!

Back