have cakewalk, mic, mixer, gutars.. now what?

Sam420

Hi im new to this BBS, I use cakewalk, I have a behringer mixer, fender guitar, an amp BUT I need to know what am I missing? and how can I move up in music-making?.. whats the next step?.. Let me clear the questions, I have problems applying effects to my inputs (mics etc into the computer) using my SB Live software (EAX).. is there a better way to apply (lets say) reverb to mic1, no reverb to mic2, distortion to guitar 1, and no effects to MIDI using my computer and the mixer?.. thats where i think Im mixing an effect processor or something but I dont know which one to buy and which one would be the best one for me.. by the way to listen to my songs goto http://www.mp3.com/acidx

Hi Sameer,

Welcome to the BBS. I gave a listen to one of your songs. I don't speak Pakistani so I don't know what it's about but my wife liked the rhythm. I think one of the first things you need to improve is the way you record. You should record your instruments and vocals dry, meaning without all the effects. You can add the effects later on after you recorded the different tracks. I noticed that you have way too much reverb in your mix. You might want to add some compression to your vocals but it's hard to really say if you need it because you seemed to have drowned them pretty good in reverb but my guess is you will need a compressor. Try recording the tracks over dry and then add the effects to the mix, repost the new song and I'll give it another listen.

thanx NYC

Hey thanx for the reply.. I thought I'll never get any reply.. hehe

Ill do what you said ... and post em when im done.. this might take a while.. but thanx again for the advice...

Sam, welcome. Read up on the forums here and go back a few pages. Also do a search on "effects" or "plug ins".

If you have a newer version of cakewalk you can apply effects to the individual tracks. I wouldnt recomend using the SB for effects.

Can you afford to upgrade your software or soundcard? That would be the quickest way to get more flexibility and quality.

what do you suggggest...?

Yah i want to get rid of my SB live and Cakewalk combination and move upto something more professional... please advise me what sound card and software should I use.. thanx

The Delta cards are very popular and there are different cards for your budget. If you like Cakewalk then check out Sonar, that is the latest version.

Back