Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guitar solo in mono vs stereo mix

Thanks

Guitar solo in mono vs stereo mix

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys, in the last couple of mixes Ive made, I find myself struggling to get the guitar solo levels right. When I hear the solo in the full stereo mix, it sounds ok, but hearing it in mono makes it super loud in comparison with the other instruments. I havent found a good solutions to make it sound good in both mono and stereo. Any advice? Ill leave a mini song I made where the solo heard in stereo sounds low to me...

Thanks
    Are you mixing on headphones or with monitors that are set much wider than your distance from them?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Are you mixing on headphones or with monitors that are set much wider than your distance from them?
    I'm mixing with monitors, they are at an appropiate distance. The thing is, I check my mixes through other speakers (Phone, smart TV, etc.) and the results are the same: loud solo on mono, normal on stereo, or normal on mono, but low on stereo

Thanks
    To some degree that always happens. Maybe if you give the solo some subtle stereo effect you can reduce the effect.

Thanks
    Could you could have possibly some things in your 'music bed' out of phase?
    It would sound fine in stereo but when put in mono, things would cancel out.

If this was the case it would 'seem' like the solo was louder, when in fact the backing tracks were getting lower in volume.

Thanks
    The only thing getting lower in volumen in mono are the rythm guitars, which are panned hard left and right. Flipped the phase and they seem fine. Is this something that just "happens"? should I just find the balance (cause Im never satisfied with how it comes out)?

Thanks
    This is normal if you have a solo in stereo it's going to increase in level when mono'd. For me it is preferable to consider guitar solos like vocal solos and just keep them mono. If i want to add any effects that might "widen" the image to stereo i put them on an aux bus and then i can control the volume separately. IMHO there is no real reason to have a stereo solo. You can do ping pong, offset delays for excitement on an aux and to my mind, a solo instrument should be somewhere i can "point to" in a mix. IOW not diffuse through the whole stereo field. YMMV

On the other hand, if you double the solo by playing/recording twice, there is usually enough difference bertween them that splitting them side to side wont result in as much increase in level when in mono than a single stereo track collapsed.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cachi View Post
    The only thing getting lower in volumen in mono are the rythm guitars, which are panned hard left and right. Flipped the phase and they seem fine. Is this something that just "happens"? should I just find the balance (cause Im never satisfied with how it comes out)?
    Ah, now it makes perfect sense. Anything out of phase between left and right will drop in volume when combined. How did you create the left/right difference?

Thanks
    this makes me think. I tend to record everything in stereo, because ... why? I guess because I can, DAWs make it so easy. Going try doing some mono and see what that brings to the table.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesfordan View Post
    I tend to record everything in stereo, because ... why? I guess because I can, DAWs make it so easy. Going try doing some mono and see what that brings to the table.
    If it is a single point sound source (a bass DIed, a mic on an amp, a vocal into a mic, for example,) there is no good reason to record in stereo.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thread Information