[Guide] Mixing Vocals - How To EQ, Compress and Use Effects

Someone else putting their 2 cents into how things should be done. There are many ways to work, and none are right or wrong as long as the end result is good. I suppose I'm one of the old farts that listened to Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the doors.

Well, Paschalis I, The guys recording back then had 10% of the resources that todays engineers and mixers have, so the knowledge they had must have been very good.

Alan.

Someone else putting their 2 cents into how things should be done. There are many ways to work, and none are right or wrong as long as the end result is good. I suppose I'm one of the old farts that listened to Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the doors.

Well, Paschalis I, The guys recording back then had 10% of the resources that todays engineers and mixers have, so the knowledge they had must have been very good.

Alan.

Hello mr.Alan, your attitude has won my respect.

I'd like to thank you for reading my post and taking the time to leave a comment.

I am 25 and I still listen to Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors and I can't agree with you more that the guys recording back had a lot of knowledge.
To be precise they had more recording knowledge which is the A and Z of the whole signal chain, no-one can argue that :)

Recording was/is an art and these guys did wonders with microphones! I really adore their work.

But still some people adore their own work more than others adore their work, and they can't see the sad reality cause they've got a wall in front of them, called ego.
What I want to say with this, is that quality work is being hidden and people with analog gear are all over the place bragging and thinking that they are Chris Lord Alges.

I am glad that there are still open-minded people that really focus on the right subject and grasp the real reason that my rant was about.
And more important: Read the whole damn article before rushing into conclusions and trying to look cool on forums.

I've found out a myspace page from your link in your signature and the productions rock. I knew it that an open-minded person that says "There are many ways to work, and none are right or wrong as long as the end result is good" that would have better productions from the real old "farts" as you said. Humble people do and prove, than talk.

Thank you for the chat

Without sound samples, it's not really helpful to me. Theory is fine but examples are much more helpful.
Why not post some ?

from Pach page:
Modern bands, artists – DJs such as Nicky Romero, Evanescence, Linkin Park, Eminem and any other modern genre have less dynamics than we can imagine.

The artists just mentioned have got albums that are compressed a lot and it sounds really cool.
OPINION! To many people, it all sounds like crap.

Chances are that you’ve recorded through an analog compressor and pre-amp combo that may have given you a warmer sound. If this is true, the sound you’re going to get through this plugin might be “too much” for your liking.
Really? You think that someone with lots of analog equipment experience is going to be reading your web page for advice?

I am 25....

This pretty much explains a lot about Paschalis...but he can't help it...everyone at 25 thinks they know everything there is to know, better than anyone else. :)

Not saying that there aren't some younger guys who have gained some solid knowledge and experience already...
...but there sure are WAY too many younger guys who think they have more knowledge and experience than guys who have been doing audio for 20-30+ years.

Just ranting about your audio opinions on self-serving blogs doesn't amount to actual knowledge and experience, especially when the bulk of that knowledge and experience probably came from reading other internet blogs and hanging on internet audio forums.

They say that word of mouth is a good way to gain a solid, credible following...
...but when it's all your mouth...then it's an internet blog...which is like a pocket of trapped gas, useless to anyone but the source that vented it. :D

That said...he's gone one day, and already you kinda' miss the guy....am I right?
I mean, nothing more amusing than watching someone self-combust on an internet audio forum. I's always entertaining when it happens over the weekends, especially when it's a long holiday weekend. :p

Guys, just let it die. It was half way down the page until this morning. Just let it go, you're wasting your energy.

This pretty much explains a lot about Paschalis...but he can't help it...everyone at 25 thinks they know everything there is to know, better than anyone else. :)

That pretty much sums it up. Not that there's anything wrong with a 25 yr old, but he's got what....maybe 5 years of meaningful audio work under his belt AT BEST? In an era of heavy-use VSTs and plug-ins? He just another goofball in an era of "engineers/producers", I use those terms in quotes on purpose, that have probably never mic'd a real instrument in their lives. It's no wonder he understands nothing outside of his cracked software and plug-in jockeying. Ignorance truly is bliss.

Guys, just let it die. It was half way down the page until this morning. Just let it go, you're wasting your energy.

Like you said...until this morning where it was hard to miss. :D

C'mon...you've had your moments with bumping an amusement park of a thread just for the ride. ;)

In an era of heavy-use VSTs and plug-ins?

I actually had a couple of sentences in my first post where I was saying the same thing...that most of these young, know-everything guys have often only lived their short "studio" life ITB, but I deleted it because I didn't want anyone to think I was attacking ITB/plug-based audio work....but it is often the case.
I think people just get wrapped up in their computer audio world, and think that nothing OTB is important or better.

If you ever need any help with editing vocals, we provide a professional service that can do this for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back