Grrr!! Not able to hear midi

blove

Hi everyone, happy 4th. I finally figured out how to import my midi files from my hard drive into pro tools. That was relatively easy. But I am not getting and sound. I can see that pro tools sees the signal when I chose certain outputs. And the signal shows up in the track view as well. Do I need to create a new output? If so, I tried that and went to setup/midi/midi studio setup/ and tried all that was available.

I'm using mbox with PT Express.

Thanks and be safe around those BBQ grills today.

i had a similar issue with Sonar x2. after importing midi i got no sound. im' useing superior drummer and tilian bass. when i expanded the superior drummer track to show all tracks, i could see that the midi was on the wrong track. i don't know how pro tools works but i hope this helps. there was 1 track that had a symbol that looked like a 5 pin midi connector, when i moved the midi to that track i got sound., look for something like that.

Hey,
You mention midi but you don't mention a virtual or hardware instrument.....

Forgive me if I'm patronising you, but midi is just data, kinda like sheet music, and won't make any sound without an instrument to interpret the data.

In Protools that instrument could be Xpand, for example.

Create a new instrument track, import the midi data, and insert an instrument the same way you'd insert an eq or compressor.
Set the track output to whatever your master audio output is. It should be set to that by default.
That should work.

Awesome, thanks.
Well, I figured out how to import a file and monitor it. I assign Boom to them once I place it in the edit window of pro tools. The thing that I'm trying to figure out now is how can I audition them in the "workspace" window? There are no speaker icons under waveform like in the YouTube tutorial. And, how can I get them into Boom? I want to find it when I click on... inserts/multichannel plugins/instrument/ ??? Then, this is where Boom and other instruments are. For now, I'm using Boom so, how do I get the files in Boom?

I'm trying to figure out now is how can I audition them in the "workspace" window? There are no speaker icons under waveform like in the YouTube tutorial.

I'm not sure that you can.
I'll check later, but like I said, Midi is just data. There's no sound to audition without an assigned instrument.

And, how can I get them into Boom? I want to find it when I click on... inserts/multichannel plugins/instrument/ ??? Then, this is where Boom and other instruments are. For now, I'm using Boom so, how do I get the files in Boom?

I don't understand the problem. What's wrong?

Last edited:
I'm not sure that you can.
I'll check later, but like I said, Midi is just data. There's no sound to audition without an assigned instrument.

You're right...no can do in auditioning midi in workspace.

I don't understand the problem. What's wrong?

I was hoping to be able to copy and paste my midi drum folder from my hard drive into pro tools somehow using Boom as the instrument for it. How can I assign Boom as the instrument for ALL the MIDI files in that folder? Is it even possible? Instead of having to drag every single midi file one at a time into the edit window just to audition them.

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing, to be honest.
I mean, Boom doesn't really work in the same way as most midi instruments.

With most midi instruments, the midi notation is musical notation.
With boom, the presence of a note just triggers a preset loop, and the duration of that loop is set by the duration of the note.

A long C3 might be loop1, long D3 might be loop 2.

Maybe you know that; Apologies if you do.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what you're doing, to be honest.
I mean, Boom doesn't really work in the same way as mode midi instruments.

With most midi instruments, the midi notation is musical notation.
With boom, the presence of a note just triggers a preset loop, and the duration of that loop is set by the duration of the note.

A long C3 might be loop1, long D3 might be loop 2.

Maybe you know that; Apologies if you do.

Ok, I think I'll just have to convert then all into audio...then that way they can at least be auditioned in the workspace window.
Thank you kindly for your help. Have a great day.

Ok.
You'll still have to import them all into your daw, apply a virtual instrument, and then bounce them all out one by one.
If that works for you though, that's cool.

Back