Going to active monitor setup and.....

Big Jinx

Artist and Producer
HipHop/Rap producer, so bass is a major issue. Upgrading from a 6.5" to 8" woofer. Wanted to know how many of you are using one of the following sets of monitors, and your experience with them before I make a decision and throw $400-$600 into a set. Any feedback you can give is good. Thanks-

M Audio BX8A
Event TR8
Behringer Truth 2031A
Tapco S8

Sorry to list the Berry's, but I haven't heard anyone say that they suck yet:o

tr8's

a friend of mine uses them exclusively for hip-hop stuff, and he's been getting pretty good results out of them in an untreated bedroom

HipHop/Rap producer, so bass is a major issue. Upgrading from a 6.5" to 8" woofer. Wanted to know how many of you are using one of the following sets of monitors, and your experience with them before I make a decision and throw $400-$600 into a set. Any feedback you can give is good. Thanks-

M Audio BX8A
Event TR8
Behringer Truth 2031A
Tapco S8

I've actually heard all of these at one point or another..never it a a/b shoot-out though. Here's what i remember from them (very brief as it was a while ago):

M Audio BX8A: quite hyped low end and a harsh top end. tiring.

Event TR8: the most truthful of the lot. for the price, a very decent monitor.

Behringer Truth 2031A: put a smile on my face. Hyped low & high end. great fun to listen to - wouldn't trust my mixes on them. Maybe you can get away with the highs but i wouldn't expect the low end to translate well.

Tapco S8: sounded like a hifi speaker. it was great, my mixes sound fucking brilliant on them; but that's not really what you want from a studio monitor (or maybe i'm just a wicked mixed ;) )

Of the lot I'd go for the Events. Event are also a more reputable company than the rest of them, with some really class monitors in their higher ranges (like the SP line).

M Audio BX8A
Event TR8
Behringer Truth 2031A
Tapco S8

on second thoughts, if you're happy with your current monitors but just want an extra couple of octaves on the bottom, you can get sub for probably half the price of getting a decent pair of monitors.

Just a thought.....

As you were :)

"As you were:)" LOL

Thanks fella's. I've heard very good things about the TR8. Probably should have mentioned that I was on a passive set before....But nevertheless, this looks promising.

Back