gettting that "at a march/protest "speakerphone" sound". (click THIS thread)

shackrock

gettting that "at a march/protest "speakerphone" sound". (click THIS thread)

so i got some vox...what effects can i put on it (maybe combination of EQing to just mids...with some reverb..etc. etc.) to get that sound of me talkin through one of those handhelf speaker phones, that you often see at rallys/marches/protests/etc. etc...

any ideas? tips?

thanks guys.

maybe you could actually record you singing or talking or whatever thorugh the megaphone.........that's what the stone temple pilots did with a couple songs...........also i've seen other bands do this.........

i think cool edit pro might have an effect for that.......i don't remember for sure though.

Use a steep roll-off of the lows and low-mids, and another for the highs. That leaves you with pretty much just upper mids. Compress the hell out of it.

Then you can really make it cool by using a delay panned to one side (to give you that 3 dimensional outdoor echo). Put lots of reverb on the delayed sound, but not much on the direct.

I would record the vocal through one of my cheap mics, with some distortion, then process with my band-pass plug-in at mixdown. Perhaps add a slap delay for "realism". If you use the right distortion you shouldn't need to compress.

Littledog said it! The general idea is to drop everything except from about 1khz to 4khz and bring those frequencies up a bit. Then you are left with just high mids. This is just a starting point but you get the idea.

The delay to the side is a cool idea!

Later

F.S.

I would advise adding an extra gain stage or overdriv a bot to add some light distortion as I've never heard a very clean megaphone. The real megaphone recorded out side maybe against a large reflective surface would still be best.

jake-owa.. You know I really need to get into distortion in bass & vocals. I have spent so ling trying to keep vocals clean that it makes me quiver when I think about actually introducing it into the track. But everyone is doing it!

I think I'll start another thread:D

Thanks for kicking my brain into new areas:)

F.S.

Shackrock,

Here is a song my band did where I tried to get, kind of a telephone/megaphone thing on the vocals during the break in the middle of the song.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/theblackbeauties/singles

the song is runaway.
I did this with steinburgs quadra fuzz. Most of the presets are heavier and fuzzier sounding, more like a megaphone, but i just messed with it till it sounded the way i wanted it.
Im not sure if this is the same kind of thing yer thinkin of, but i hope it helps.

rodvonbon

It may not be exactly what you want, but I got a pretty cheap sounding effect recording a voice in a little digital recorder (one of those tha business-types use to make notes and dictations). when I passed it through the earphone jack to my recorder (DPS16) it gave me a real guy-outside-through-a-cheap-sound reinforcement kind of deal

D out ITNOJ

i think i got it perfectly now actually..

soundic foundry distortion and paragraphic eq, and delay

it sounds perfect! haha.

thanks guys for the suggestions..
if anyone wants to hear it, let me know - and i'll post it up in the clinic later (the whole song).

Back