Getting that "stringy" strummed acoustic guitar sound

jamie_drum

I am struggling to get that strummed acoustic sound where you hear lots of strings, and contact with the pick, but the basic guitar the is somewhat muted. Anyone have suggestions? I am assuming it is mostly eq but I can't get it right.

Examples:
Fleet foxes (they use it a lot): sun it rises, someone you'd admire, helplessness blues, white winter hymnal (once the strumming starts). I'm talking about the rhythm guitar sound
Cat Stevens: Changes IV, wild world
Nick Drake: Pink Moon, Place to be
Civil Wars: Falling (strummed part) - perhaps less of a good example

They are all a bit different and the fleet foxes are the closest to what I am looking for, but they all share the quality I have tried to describe.

Thanks

Getting things bright helps me out a lot.

I usually use my MXL 4000 pointed at the 12th fret and I find I barely have to EQ it. Compression may help with you also.

HPF at the bottom.... and LPF at the top... depending upon what exact sound you're looking for. In a mix with lots of other bits and bobs or featured voices/harmonies a la Fleet Foxes, I tend to get rid of a lot of the bottom end and some of the top as well.

And a lot depends upon the guitar. I have big boomy guitars so the other thing I do with heavy strumming is get the mic/s a bit further back and put one of them up about the 9th fret...

And a lighter pick.

Which is probably pretty much what everyone else just said...;)

Not an acoustic guitar player, but my guess is that using a very soft pick would get you 80% of the way there.

The thickness and material of the pick really does a lot for the sound. Different plastics and even metal and stone give lots of variations on the sound.

Being classically trained ... one finds that finger picking on nylon strings with all of the different styles, tempo, and attack - you can get pretty much anything you could desire out of a guitar.

Being classically trained ... one finds that finger picking on nylon strings with all of the different styles, tempo, and attack - you can get pretty much anything you could desire out of a guitar.

I wish I could grow my nails, but it's hard! :(

Mine just go a little past the nub. It works for my picado, but anything like tremolo isn't working, and I bet it would probably be easier if I had nails!

Back