Getting that punch

bluedaffy

When you guys approach a project where the drum transient peaks need to be tamed but the song still requires punch (in this case it's a rock song similar to what you might hear from Pearl Jam or Nirvana) how do you treat it? I just purchased The Rocket compressor and I like the color it gives the drums but I'm having a hard time dialing it in just right. Although approaches differ between projects, what is a common way you might approach drum tracks to get that 'peak transient consistent' punch? Thanks.

It has to be punchy to begin with. I have discovered over the years that as far as compressor settings go, the slower the attack, the "punchier" it seems. My LA-2A plug-in makes things very punchy but its a slow compressor....case in point.

In that situation, I'll usually use two compressors, or a compressor and a limiter. First bring down the transient peaks to a reasonable level with a fast attack, high ratio. Then add punch with the second compressor by setting a slow attack that allows the transient through, but reduces the volume of the sound that immediately follows. Hope this helps.

Yeah, it's punchy to begin with. I'll try the 2 compressor idea. I have only used 3-4 compressors enough to get to know them, but I have found The Rocket compressor to be SUPER fast. I'm sure it's capable of dialing a slow enough setting to work though. ...I hope.

Also, try running your kick and bass through a mono comp in a sub master. If you dial it right your kick will punch through your bass.

Then apply whatever output leveling effect on masters to crunch it as they are saying.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's punchy to begin with. I'll try the 2 compressor idea. I have only used 3-4 compressors enough to get to know them, but I have found The Rocket compressor to be SUPER fast. I'm sure it's capable of dialing a slow enough setting to work though. ...I hope.

Tbf, when stillwells blurb says this, i'd be disappointed if it wasn't super fast;

"The Rocket is a character audio compressor, singular in its extraordinary speed, responding in mere microseconds to variations in program level. Being in the order of several thousand times faster than most ordinary compressors, we respectfully submit that The Rocket kicks like a mf." :D

I demo'd a lot the stillwell plugs and i really did like the rocket, but didn't find a lot of uses for it :( However, their EQ plugins are incredible and the transient monster has been a god send at times.

I've not tried the two comps approach, although it makes sense, but i'm a big fan of slower attack settings to get some punch outta kick and snares. I've also found that having a half decent room mic heavily compressed and blended in the with dry drums can make a huge difference to the overall power of the drums

I used 2 overheads, kick, and snare mics. Should I focus on treating the kick and snare rather than the whole bus?

Thanks. I will try both obviously to see what fits but I'm always interested in what others lean toward.

Back