getting into x fades

kip4

I'm just discovering the joys of cross fades.
Anyone have any advce on where to use them?
What type to use where?How do you use yours?
thanks

Wow Kip, you will soon discover the many ways that you can trick the listener with editing! The cross fade is the shiznit, it almost always hides a pop so you can make abrupt cuts from one take to another. You just have to be careful with vocals. Sometimes it will sound like there are 2 voices for a moment.

X fades can also be used artistically. I tend to use them during solos. For instance, I might cross from a clean guitar to a distorted guitar at an exciting moment. Most recently, I crossed from a B3 (lesley off) to the same B3 with the leslie spinning and it sounded like the soloist did it in real time (it was actually 2 different takes). I am sure that there are many other applications so I too am curious to see how others use them. Cool thread.

I guess what some call cross fades, I've always just called joins of sections. Some of mine are a bit clunky, but particularly since recording with a DAW, I've done many seamless ones. Usually, when laying down the initial tracks, with a drummer, if the song is recorded in sections, crossfading is a necessity although I can't get my head around calling it crossfading ! So I'll still call it joins. When doing it with drums, some cymbal hits from elsewhere flown in at the join work wonders. I tend to use the bass drum as my marker points so usually, if the join point is the bass drum hit, once completed, it's impossible to tell what has happened. Even I can't tell afterwards.

I only use crossfades on the same track when I'm joining takes of something like an acoustic guitar, rhythm electric, bass. Even with vocals I usually cut the silent parts are almost never use crossfading. But, that's why there are a million options for editing, everyone has a different work flow.

Usually if it's something like two different solo guitars, I'll have them on separate tracks and fade one out while I fade the other in...basically a cross fade but it makes more sense in my mind, and with my way of working, to keep different things on different tracks.

I guess what some call cross fades, I've always just called joins of sections. Some of mine are a bit clunky, but particularly since recording with a DAW, I've done many seamless ones. Usually, when laying down the initial tracks, with a drummer, if the song is recorded in sections, crossfading is a necessity although I can't get my head around calling it crossfading ! So I'll still call it joins. When doing it with drums, some cymbal hits from elsewhere flown in at the join work wonders. I tend to use the bass drum as my marker points so usually, if the join point is the bass drum hit, once completed, it's impossible to tell what has happened. Even I can't tell afterwards.
Well, not all "joins" are "cross-fades" , but all "cross-fades" are "joins". I don't think what you're talking about is cross-fading at all, Grim. You're just joining 2 parts, if I understand you correctly. A cross-fade has one part fading out as the other part fades in. They can be as short or as long as you want them. Usually, a short cross-fade doesn't want to be noticed. It's there to make a transition smoother. Longer cross-fades want to be noticed and are used as/for effect.

I use cross-fades ALL THE TIME!! Why?? Because I usually only get one good measure of music per song and I copy and paste it throughout the whole song. LOL.... :o

I'm a pro at cross fades now :D. Just started using them about a year ago... I've since cleaned up my tracks eliminating pops/cracks from blending takes. A valuable tool once you know how to use it. There's not enough in the manual on how to use them. I learned by accident before I even knew what they were called. :D

Thanks for the input guys kudos to you all.

Are there any other places and thing where (short joining ) crossfades should be avoided.

As yet i havent messed with crossfades as an effect. this ones for future experiments but thanks for adding that Rami.

Thanks for the input guys kudos to you all.

Are there any other places and thing where (short joining ) crossfades should be avoided.

As yet i havent messed with crossfades as an effect. this ones for future experiments but thanks for adding that Rami.

Somethings are just unfixable.

Drums....

My friend isn't the greatest drummer. We did a take and he messed up and he said "You can just take that out right? Put a cross fade?"

Doesn't sound natural with the cymbals unless there is A LOT of sound covering it up.

Back