Getting a better production

GarrenKeith

I've recently been workin on a better production for my songs in FL Studio. Looking for inconsitincies and so forth. I work on the beat and recording, and my friend sings. I've been wondering on a certain song I've made recently and was wondering if there's anything I can do to make the production a little better. I'm somewhat new to this, and need some help. Maybe it doesn't need anything done to it. I can't really tell when I've been workin on it for hours straight. Anyway, here's the link. Thanks in advance.

That auto-tune overkill can possibly be the most annoying thing I've EVER heard.

Way to follow a pathetic trend. Do you have an original bone in your body?????

As a engineer I agree, everyone is using autotune these days but I actually like it on this song. I actually think this is a good song, and I think without the autotune I would not like it. So great job. The production is nice, the vocals are nice. Congrats on a good song.

As a engineer I agree, everyone is using autotune these days but I actually like it on this song. I actually think this is a good song, and I think without the autotune I would not like it. So great job. The production is nice, the vocals are nice. Congrats on a good song.

Thanks man. I appreciate the appropriate positive feedback. We use less than half of our songs with autotune. Just thought autotune give a futuristic sound which would be appropriate for it.

I'm not too big on the auto tune fad either, but it seems to really fit this song well. The intro is a little too much though. In my opinion. Good song. I like it.

I will give you credit for your work ethic, you've obviously spent a lot of time on this track.

But except for the clipping, which it has to a major degree, it's a solid brick. By the time I get through almost 4 minutes of solid sound at -8.8dBRMS, my ears are so fatigued that the Justin Timberlake Autotune is probably the least annoying thing I hear.

Back off on the dynamics pancaking. All it will do is get people to take that song off of their playlist rotation faster due to sheer fatigue. And throw in at least one instrument that doesn't sound like it's coming off of an 80's synth drum pad. I understand that's "the sound", but all light and no shadow is almost never a good thing; you need *something* to counterpoint or balance the sound.

You've done a very good job, actually. Unfortunately you've done a very good job of mimicking the worst habits of modern professional music production trends. Take a complete vacation from music for a month or so. No radio, no MP3s, nothing. Read a book. Then, once your ears have become acclimated to real life once again, come back and give that mix a listen and decide for yourself if you really think it sounds as good as you do now.

G.

Thanks man. I appreciate the appropriate positive feedback. We use less than half of our songs with autotune. Just thought autotune give a futuristic sound which would be appropriate for it.
If you already know what's appropriate why ask? If you can't take criticism you are in the wrong field. Let the masses decide and besides you are posting this in the wrong spot. Try using this link for your reviews:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=15

That auto-tune overkill can possibly be the most annoying thing I've EVER heard.

Way to follow a pathetic trend. Do you have an original bone in your body?????

I apologize for that. It was un-called for. :o

What kills the song is the lack of dinamics.Overcompressed (for sure in tune with the 21 century pop songs, and,as I´m too old...):D

I like the "Michael Jackson/George Michael"? vibe of vocals.Even with the autotune, which I think has a "fair" use for the song, vocals has some 70´s/80´s thing and the recording/tone/performance is nice.
Ciro

Last edited:
wow man, this is good, this would be great in a club with 50 thousands watts behind it lol. I am a metal kid, but this song is just... going on my ipod lol. Can't wait to hear it in my car system, nice job!

wow man, this is good, this would be great in a club with 50 thousands watts behind it lol. I am a metal kid, but this song is just... going on my ipod lol. Can't wait to hear it in my car system, nice job!

thanks! this has been played at the club and broadcasted live on the radio. heh. dj told me he needed an extended version so i made him that. that's why it has the 8 measure intro of nothing but a beat. the original didn't have that. i get vip everytime i go to that nightclub now.

hey man what effect-plugin are you using when the singer says like eye and it goes eye eye eye eye... as it like echo/fades out? i've heard it befor i just don't no what its called.

hey man what effect-plugin are you using when the singer says like eye and it goes eye eye eye eye... as it like echo/fades out? i've heard it befor i just don't no what its called.

It's not a plugin. Just cut out the part where he says eye and saved it as an audio file and manipulated it to make it act the way i wanted it to like this
http://i36.tinypic.com/2qd29ur.jpg

There are slicers out there that can do that, but the way I did it was probably way easier.

Yep. And at the top of the "Whatever happened to..." column in the next three years or so.

Where's the soul?

G.

Soul? Even the big artists can hardly sell a record nowdays with all the internet piracy! unfortunately the new trend (not that I buy into it) is to sound just like the masses and market the hell out of the lump of clay in which you have molded yourself to be..That is the only way to sell records nowdays..get with the times old school (Im just kidding)

But for real..on the topic of the song...I think its real good..But the clipping is a problem. You need to roll back on some of the compression..just a wee bit

The production is great, the song is okay, and the clipping sucks. I think my ears are ringing after listening to that. YIKES!

Truly great production though -- the song SOUNDS great.

I just listened to Kanye's latest disc and am now used to the autotune. HOW COME HUMANS AREN'T SPEAKING LIKE THIS. We should implant autotune into our throats. BAH.

Back