Geting bigger guitar sound using copy/paste doubling tracks

This is also my experience and practice:

"It's my opinion that the "less gain is better" thing really only applies when you're stacking guitar tracks. Literally stacking. Like say you're recording 4 guitar tracks, two right on top of eachother on each side of the stereo field, then yes, less gain on each track will make the tracks combined sound thicker and less fizzy."

I also totally agree with this:

"the fact that you did it twice will make it bigger even if you don't change a thing since it's impossible to play it exactly the same and it's those timing differences that make double tracking so effective. Adding EQ changes and fxs can make it even more effective."

It takes time and practice to be able to play a piece of guitar music multiple times in a recording and have them all be tight and in time. Perfectly in time is not possible and it is the slight variation of touch, attack, feel, and execution that really helps a multi-tracked guitar sound big and full. I have tracked my guitar parts 4x for years now. I love the results. More seems like demishing return and less seems to lack the depth I like to hear. With 4 tracks you have a wide range of stereo panning possibilities.

As far as amp settings, I suggest 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT settings that sound good on their own and record each setting twice. This will give you wide mixing possibilities. As said, keep the distortion to a lower level than you would use live, or even just jam with, and it should turn out pretty damn good if you are able to play the same thing multiple times with precision.

Being a tight and precise player is far more important and rewarding than knowing tricks to try and imitate the sound of a tight and precise player.

I don't really disagree with any of that except for the big loud amp part. Big loud amps are better!

The bottom line - play it twice because copy/paste/shift sucks bad.

Back