Get that mud out of my kick drum!

beatsbase

This is our kick drum without any process, try to listen to the full spectrum. What do you want to keep from all that frequency pack? The lower ones? The sub low?

post-eq-2-2.jpg

In general, we (the mere mortals) cannot hear below 30hz, so preserving the sound energy in that spectrum is not very useful (we will discuss the handling of sub low frequencies later). On the other hand if we listen carefully, our kick drum sounds as if it were sunk in the mud (yes, my language is very technical at this moment), that is because it has an excess of energy in a frequency package between 100hz and 250 -300hz that gives that particular color. To make it clearer let’s see it separately!

post-eq-2-3.jpg

These types of frequencies are what transform a powerful bass drum into a mix destroyer. There is no bass who doesn’t want to fight with our muddy friend.

Now let’s apply the concepts we have just learned.

1. Super low frequencies cut
2. Let’s clean the 100-250Hz sector a little
3. (Bonus) Let’s highlight certain treble frequencies to reinforce the kick.

post-eq-2-4.jpg

Nice, uh? These values ​​should not be used for all kick drums in the worl (or should they?)…

If you like this kind of articles feel free to visite beatsbase.net!

See you next time!

This is our kick drum without any process, try to listen to the full spectrum. What do you want to keep from all that frequency pack? The lower ones? The sub low?

View attachment 105472

In general, we (the mere mortals) cannot hear below 30hz, so preserving the sound energy in that spectrum is not very useful (we will discuss the handling of sub low frequencies later). On the other hand if we listen carefully, our kick drum sounds as if it were sunk in the mud (yes, my language is very technical at this moment), that is because it has an excess of energy in a frequency package between 100hz and 250 -300hz that gives that particular color. To make it clearer let’s see it separately!

View attachment 105473

These types of frequencies are what transform a powerful bass drum into a mix destroyer. There is no bass who doesn’t want to fight with our muddy friend.

Now let’s apply the concepts we have just learned.

1. Super low frequencies cut
2. Let’s clean the 100-250Hz sector a little
3. (Bonus) Let’s highlight certain treble frequencies to reinforce the kick.

View attachment 105474

Nice, uh? These values ​​should not be used for all kick drums in the worl (or should they?)…

If you like this kind of articles feel free to visite beatsbase.net!

See you next time!

*Sigh*...
I would say:
1) A lot of people on this site know how to EQ a kick.
2) If someone doesn't know, they can ask, and I'm sure plenty of people would provide help... AND...
3) You didn't even think about where the bass guitar bottom end would sit.

Last edited:
Back