Full Vocal/Instrumental mix down question

DVZON

Hi, I compose Trance/House/Dance music. I always make the instrumental very loud, and just now I will be adding vocals to my tracks. I want to know if I always should leave some space for the vocals when I plan to mix the instrumental and the vocal down or just mix the vocals with the instrumental been loud as it is (top peak, going way past the red side). The instrumental sounds fines, but I'm afraid that by the time I want to add the vocals, the vocals are gonna sound awfule or something is gonna sound awful..Too much volume coming from the instrumental, and less space for the vocals to be heard, or too much vocal loudness, and the instrumental will be weaker.

What should I do? how should I go about mixng the vocals with the instrumentals. What levels do you recommend I should have the instrumentals to mix the vocals just right...

(Please remember that this is not hip-hop where you use about 6 tracks or less. This is dance music where about 10,16 or more tracks are used).

You definately need room for the vocals. Usually you would want to mix the vocals and the music at the same time. Trying to pre-mix the music and karaoke the vocals later can be pretty difficult to get right.

I don't exactly live in a cave, but I gotta ask.

What is trance music?

Many artist/engineers/producers will make several different mixes of a proposed top-ten hit. One for the radio, one for the dance club, and one for release.

On some extended releases there is a big section of instrumental music with no vocal. Mix with the vocal so that is the focal point of the tune. It can always be brought down for the dance mix.

You kind of have to think and plan ahead when mixing sometimes.;)

DVZON said:
Hi, I compose Trance/House/Dance music. I always make the instrumental very loud, and just now I will be adding vocals to my tracks. I want to know if I always should leave some space for the vocals when I plan to mix the instrumental and the vocal down or just mix the vocals with the instrumental been loud as it is (top peak, going way past the red side).

If there's no vocal yet, the instruments are loud compared to what?:D Something's got to give if you're already redlined.
Maybe you could just treat the vocals like you would another important instrument, giving it what you think it's due in the mix. It is true that as you add more sounds, something must (generally) make room for it. Stick it in there, see what covers up what, go from there.:D
Wayne

Back