Free Mastering

masteringhouse

www.masteringhouse.com
I offered this to steve.h in his thread but thought I would open this up to anyone interested. I have a group of students in a mastering class that could use some material for an assignment. If anyone is interested in donating a track to be used for this assignment please let me know.

I will have them vote on the track to be used. I would like to have submissions in within the next week. They are new to the mastering game, so mileage will vary. Of course input from the forum would be appreciated once the results are available.

Thanks for your help and consideration.

Best,
Tom

Hey Masteringhouse,
I have a couple things you might work with. Same recording configuration used on both pieces. If you'd like to give them a shot pm me with your email and what you need from me.
ralpheo

I've been wondering if one of my songs would master worth a damn.

It's called Tuna Fish Sandwiches on my myspace page...

http://www.myspace.com/doghausrecords

It was tracked a couple years ago with 2 yrs less knowledge.

Let me know if you're interested, huh?

Thanks-n-stuff........Kel

Thanks for the replies and offers so far. A requirement is that the source file be at least 44.1k/16 bit (no mp3s).

If everyone could post interest here (rather than pm me) I'll go through all posts and then send a pm out to everyone with instructions for uploading the track. There has been a real diverse group of tracks so far which I think is great. Again my plan for the first round of this is to have the students vote on which track they want to work on, but with music this diverse I may end up having them work on other tracks to get a feel for working in other genres other than the one that they pick and are most comfortable with.

Thanks and keep 'em coming!

yeah...no worries on the mp3 thing. If you decide it'll be a good project for the students, I've got the wav of it.
Thanks man.......

I spoke to the students last night and they are up for the task.

So far I have:

ralpheo
dogbreath
rami
orchestrator1

Anyone else?

I will have something very soon (next day or two) that i would like you to take a shot at :) I will send you a PM as soon as its ready.

I will have something very soon (next day or two) that i would like you to take a shot at :) I will send you a PM as soon as its ready.

Thanks!

I just want to be clear however that this will not be my work (I can't afford to work for free) but the work of a group of my students who are starting mastering. Again I appreciate the donations for this cause.

Thanks!

I just want to be clear however that this will not be my work (I can't afford to work for free) but the work of a group of my students who are starting mastering. Again I appreciate the donations for this cause.

I've got a song you can use, outside of what you're doing for me already. I will send you an email with a link once I get it uploaded.

And what about this class?? Do the students get to use your system for assignments? Got a syllabus or class notes you'd care to share??? :D

Peace,

I've got a song you can use, outside of what you're doing for me already. I will send you an email with a link once I get it uploaded.

And what about this class?? Do the students get to use your system for assignments? Got a syllabus or class notes you'd care to share??? :D

Peace,

Thanks D!

No the students use a studio at the school. It's not quite as well-equipped as mine, but they should be able to do an adequate job with what they have.

Class notes? I don't need no stinkin' class notes! :D

If you check out the critical listening thread there's a matrix that I used for the mixing class that I taught in years past. The syllabus has grading, requirement for the class, and other things that are probably not of interest here. The main summary that might be of interest is:

COURSE DESCRIPTION:

This course is an introduction to the techniques and procedures used during the mastering process. It includes an exploration of various processing techniques used for correction and enhancement of the final mixes along with the procedures used in preparing the final pre-master used for replication. The class will consist of both lecture and hands-on studio exercises of various mastering techniques, reading assignments, and critical listening and evaluation exercises.

COURSE OBJECTIVES:

Upon completion of the course, students will:

• Learn to analyze and learn from historic and current commercial recordings.
  • Have an advanced understanding of critical listening and evaluation skills.
  • Be able to understand and communicate the needs and goals of the mastering client.
  • Understand the use of studio equipment including dynamic processing, types of EQ, signal routing, and more.
  • Be able to find various solutions and resolve technical issues during the mastering process.
  • Gain a better understanding of approaches in producing various styles of music including rock, blues, jazz, rap, hip-hop, and acoustic music.

TEXT:

Katz, Bob, Mastering Audio – The Art and the Science – Burlington, MA.. Focal Press.

If you still have room I would be up for it. I have a classical/fusion track that might be a bit different than the normal fare.

Current list:

ralpheo
dogbreath
rami
orchestrator1
guitarboi89
Chili
DavidK

(thanks to everyone above)

Anyone else?

I will need files by Wednesday morning and will be PMing instructions to the members above shortly.

Oh, and one other request that I forgot to mention on the PMs I sent out. Please use your forum user id when uploading files along with sample rate and bit depth. For eaxmaple if I was sending a 44.1K 24 bit wave file the name would be:

masteringhouse_44-24.wav

Best,
Tom

Oh, and one other request that I forgot to mention on the PMs I sent out. Please use your forum user id when uploading files along with sample rate and bit depth. For eaxmaple if I was sending a 44.1K 24 bit wave file the name would be:

masteringhouse_44-24.wav

Best,
Tom

Oops...Mine just finished uploading about 5 seconds before you posted that.

Hi Tom,
I'd like to send you something. Just a few questions. Must they be original compositions and what genre are you more interested in? Or doesn't it matter?

btw, I think I'm fairly local to you and would love to find out more about the classes you teach.

Hi Tom,
I'd like to send you something. Just a few questions. Must they be original compositions and what genre are you more interested in? Or doesn't it matter?

btw, I think I'm fairly local to you and would love to find out more about the classes you teach.

Hey Dave,

Shillington, wow you are close!

I teach at Lebanon Valley College, so you would need to be a student there for the class. I also used to teach at Albright, right in your "neck of the woods", but things got too busy here at the studio to do both.

I'll PM upload instructions, thanks!

I'd love somehing of mine to be mastered - anything would be a step up from my straight mixes or my faux mastering.
If you go to my soundclick page your students can select anything they want & I'll send you the wave file (I assume) either as un upload or by mail if you'd prefer.
I'll just copy my soundclick music page link thn be back to add it in as an edit. your call, I'll not be lost if the students aren't interested.
Here's the link to the choices:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=469622&content=music
The only track that's not available is Kennedy Avalon - it's not finsihed!
Cheers & thanks for the offer if nought else.

Back